Excel Autocompleting Recognized Text in Cells

DavidS722

Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I am entering text into a long single column of cells mechanically, row by row.

As I go down the column, cell by cell, I will sometimes want to enter a text that I have already entered in a previous cell, many rows back. My Excel, part of of Office Professional Plus 2010, will recognize that I am starting to enter the beginning of a text that was previously entered, and will offer to autocomplete it with what was entered before. This I like and prefer, since it means two things to me:

1) It proves to me that I have previously entered this text in a row, earlier, and
2) It saves me the trouble of having to type in the full text again, if after knowing this, I want to have that text be in that additional cell. Sometimes, seeing that it was previously entered, I may decide not to enter it again. Sometimes I will. But this recognition allows me to decide.

My issue? My Excel does not always do this. Even though I am starting to enter the exact same first few characters of a cell that had the full text before, Excel will *not* recognize that it was previously entered. How can I make Excel always recognize if it has been entered before?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
If, when the autocomplete doesn't work, you have a header row with ALL caps OR a leading capital letter, it is trying to emulate that header row format.
Have a read here

If you are on a Mac, I believe the autocomplate has a range limit....100 odd rows I think
and autocomplete stops when there is a blank cell between the current typing and the last previous instance of the typed text

Upvote 0
Solution
If, when the autocomplete doesn't work, you have a header row with ALL caps OR a leading capital letter, it is trying to emulate that header row format.
Have a read here

If you are on a Mac, I believe the autocomplate has a range limit....100 odd rows I think
and autocomplete stops when there is a blank cell between the current typing and the last previous instance of the typed text
Thank you. On Win10. I tested this out. I had a header row. Anything below the header row, which was separating the column in two parts, was recognized. Anything above, was not. Solution. Get rid of header row.Thank you.

Upvote 0
OR put a blank row UNDER the header row, so your Autocomplete starts where the data starts
Glad to help... (y) (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back