Excel automatically inserting VBA code to "This Workbook" object throws 64-bit compile error

PatKlaus

My apologies if this has been addressed before. If so, I haven't been able to find the right keyword combination to find it.

My system is Windows 7 with Office 2010 (32-bit). I have an Excel template which has evolved over quite a few years, and I've hit a new issue. I sent the template to a colleague for testing after coding some enhancements. He just received a new laptop with Windows 10 and Office 2016 (64-bit). When he tried to run an import macro, it immediately threw a compile error with the message: "The code in this project must be updated for use on 64-bit systems. Please review and update Declare statements and then mark them with the PtrSafe attribute."

My first thought was "What Declare statements? I don't use Declare statements!" So I turned to the trusty "Find" function and found this code on the "This Workbook" object in the VBA project:
Code:
    Private Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" _
        (ByVal lpClassName As String, _
        ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long

Private Declare Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" _
        (ByVal hWnd1 As Long, ByVal hWnd2 As Long, _
        ByVal lpsz1 As String, ByVal lpsz2 As String) As Long

Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" _
        (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, _
        ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Any) As Long

Since this isn't code I put in the project, I copied it to another file and deleted it. I then saved the file and re-ran the macro and it worked just fine. I forwarded the file to my colleague and much to my surprise, got the same error with the same code! It had magically reappeared. At that point I went to the web and started searching and found instructions for upgrading declare statements to use PtrSafe. I put in a compile switch (#If Win64 ...), updated the declare statements for 64-bit, and saved the file. Sent it once again to my colleague. It failed again with the exact same code rather than the code I had just entered. I finally had him add the code using his 64-bit Office, it ran fine, he saved the file, but when he re-opened the file it failed again with the exact same code above inserted.

It seems pretty clear that Excel/VBA is inserting that code for me, but it's failing. Does anyone know how to fix a problem with automatically added code??
Thanks,
Pat

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
wow this looks like it could be fun for the future for some people, might be worth giving this site a look, its Microsoft code compatibility inspector.

If you are lucky you might get away with just declaring long variables as longlong, if you have active ex controls etc. could be a nightmare.

As a side just because they could still load the 32 bit version rather than the 64bit and avoid this altogether

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee833946(office.14).aspx

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back