Excel - Barcode - Music

computertamer

I belong to a chorale that is 40 years old and we are having a problem with our printed music not being returned. I'm looking for an inexpensive solution using excel. I've retired from the programming/analysis business for over 10 years and my skills are very rusty so please be clear in responses.

Basic Idea and actions taken:

Using an inexpensive software program I've designed a membership card that contains the members name in barcode 128.

I would like to obtain an inexensive barcode reader that would read the code of the members barcoded name and create a grocery list of all pieces of music handed to the user.

All newly acquired music comes barcoded. I made the assumption it would be upc, but in examining some of it more closely there could be a misture with ISBN. Therefore; I would need the scanning to change from 128 to UPC and/or ISBN.

We have older music acquired prior to barcoding so we would need to add barcoded lables to this music so they could also be scanned. The inexpensive software supports a small list of barcodes so this could be completed easily and probably 3 of 9 would be best. Or suggestions?

I would appreciate any assistance that could be provided, please also remeber we are a nonprofit organization and keeping costs down is essential.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I belong to a chorale that is 40 years old and we are having a problem with our printed music not being returned. I'm looking for an inexpensive solution using excel. I've retired from the programming/analysis business for over 10 years and my skills are very rusty so please be clear in responses.

Basic Idea and actions taken:

Using an inexpensive barcode generating software program I've designed a membership card that contains the members name in Code 128 barcode.

I would like to obtain an inexensive barcode reader that would read the code of the members barcoded name and create a grocery list of all pieces of music handed to the user.

All newly acquired music comes barcoded. I made the assumption it would be upc, but in examining some of it more closely there could be a misture with ISBN. Therefore; I would need the scanning to change from 128 to UPC and/or ISBN.

We have older music acquired prior to barcoding so we would need to add barcoded lables to this music so they could also be scanned. The inexpensive software supports a small list of barcodes so this could be completed easily and probably 3 of 9 would be best. Or suggestions?

I would appreciate any assistance that could be provided, please also remeber we are a nonprofit organization and keeping costs down is essential.

Thanks.

I like your idea. And I wonder have you solved your problem? If not, I can ask one of my friends who is a .NET barcode developer for help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back