Excel Calculate Miles from Zip Code to Zip Code

VballRef

I am aware that there are other similar questions like this on here, but they seem to be pieced together, and I cannot seem to find a single answer that can be easily deployed. I previously used G_Distance function to calculate miles between a matrix of zip codes, and it worked flawlessly. I now have obtained a Google API to be able to achieve the same result, but I have been unable to get it to work within my current Excel framework.

Basically, I'm looking for a formula (or macro) using a Google API that will allow the mileage to be calculated as shown below (do not need the actual "mi" suffix--just there to show what I'm calculating).

Name132220??mi??mi??mi??mi??mi
Name275501??mi??mi??mi??mi??mi
Name331316??mi??mi??mi??mi??mi

<tbody>
</tbody>

I know this is possible...and I'm weary of trying to figure it out! I'm hoping some of my Excel friends can help me!

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I finally got the code to work!! Using the code below, I am able to get the result in meters...so the only thing I still need help with is converting to miles. Is there any easy way to build that conversion into this code? Or do I need a separate function for that?

Public Function GetDistance(start As String, dest As String)
Dim firstVal As String, secondVal As String, lastVal As String
firstVal = "https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/distancematrix/json?origins="
secondVal = "+&destinations="
lastVal = "+&units=imperial&mode=car&language=en&sensor=false&key= YourGoogleAPIKey"
Set objHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
Url = firstVal & Replace(start, " ", "+") & secondVal & Replace(dest, " ", "+") & lastVal
objHTTP.Open "GET", Url, False
objHTTP.setRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)"
objHTTP.send ("")
If InStr(objHTTP.responseText, """distance"" : {") = 0 Then GoTo ErrorHandl
Set regex = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp"): regex.Pattern = """value"".*?([0-9]+)": regex.Global = False
Set matches = regex.Execute(objHTTP.responseText)
tmpVal = Replace(matches(0).SubMatches(0), ".", Application.International(xlListSeparator))
GetDistance = CDbl(tmpVal)
Exit Function
ErrorHandl:
GetDistance = -1
End Function

Upvote 0
Sorry for the duplication...I cannot seem to edit my post. I was clearly over-thinking this :). The conversion part was easy...no need to add to the code! Just used the simple formula: =(CONVERT(GetDistance(C$1,$B2),"m","mi"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back