Excel cannot open the file because the format or file extension is not valid

iamanexcelnoob

Board Regular
hi all, i have a massive Excel file I use to distribute reports at work via macro.

said macro basically takes one tab (from many), exports as a new sheet and then throws it into Outlook to be sent to specific team members.

i recently got a replacement work laptop and now when i run the macro and distribute the files, the recipient is getting the following error message: "Excel cannot open the file because the file format or extension is not valid".

it seems this issue only just popped up after getting the new machine. nothing has changed in regards to the coding used in the macro or anything else that i can pinpoint the issue to.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Re: Excel cannot open the file because the format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file

It would suggest you're saving it in xlsm format by default but applying a different extension in the filename.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back