excel can't cope - need to use access?

merlin777

Office Version
  1. 2007
I'm trying to create an excel workbook that takes input from around 10 users of their appointments for up to 25 patients and then produces timetables for those patients.

The problem I've run into is that all users will need the workbook open most of the time on different network pcs to enter their appointments and it's that need to share the workbook and keep it constantly updated (they need to see the other users' appointments too) that excel doesn't do well.

I'm told this is ideal for access but unfortunately, even though i regard my excel skills as advanced, I've never written an access database.

Can i use access to allow all users to enter their appointments into a common database and then go back into my comfort zone to use excel to produce the timetables?

I spent about 4 weeks (with help) writing quite a sophisticated workbook to do the whole thing but now it comes to dealing with multiple simultaneous users it looks like i've wasted my time because excel's sharing capability isn't up to the job. I don't want to give up because this is going to save my local stroke patient support department half a day of admin per week which frees them to support a lot more people.

Any thoughts would be extremely welcome.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Yes, Access is great for many persons entering data. But yes, Access has a learning curve for a novice. BUT most of your uses can be done WITHOUT any code.
Usu. by using the WIZARDS. Make table wizard, make a query wizard...these guide you thru building the foundation you need to get your data in.

You would have to build a table to store your data
queries to retrieve and alter data.
a form , (connected to a query) so a person can goto the box and enter the data labeld.
reports to see groups of data and summation of money, etc.

This can be done without any VB programming.

Upvote 0
OK- you've convinced me. I'm going to make my first proper attempt at an access database.

So, can I have your suggestions for a good learning resource please?

Upvote 0
I've started reading up on access.... I think its going to be a long time before i can produce what i need but it's thrown up 2 questions:

1)is there an access template i can start with?
2) could i use access to enter appointment data (multiple simultaneous users) and let excel use that data for the more complicated bits that i've already managed to get it to do?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back