Excel Challenge: Macro based on cells background color - cut/paste and copy down

lost_in_macros

Hi awesome Mr. Excel community!

I am currently trying to create a rather complicated macro, and as you might have guessed by my user name, I am a bit lost right now.

This is how my data is currently shaped: I have one column which contains the data of owners (turquoise background, bgcolor=#CCFFFF or color=34 ) and tasks (white background). The number of owners, and the number of tasks per owner varies.

AB
1OwnerTask
Anna (turquoise background)
Task 1 (white background)
Task 2 (white background)
Lisa (turquoise background)
Task 3 (white background)
Task 4 (white background)

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is how I want my data to look like:

AC
1OwnerTask
2AnnaTask 1
3AnnaTask 2
4LisaTask 3
5LisaTask 4

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I want my Macro to do:

Cut all turquoise cells in column B and paste them into column A (two columns to the left). Then, starting from the first filled cell in column A, I want my macro to copy this cell into the empty cells in the rows below until it reaches the next filled cell. Then, I want it to go down one cell, copy this new cell and paste it into all the empty cells below until it gets to the next filled cell. I want this to happen until it reaches the end of the data (so some sort of if...then copy..until..then go down one..then loop construction). In the end, I would like every row with an empty cell in B to be deleted.

I know this is quite a complicated request, so all suggestions are welcome! Please reach out to me if you have any additional questions, and have a great day!

This worked PERFECTLY!!! Thank you so incredibly much!!

I have some more questions (not related to this thread): how did you learn all this? Is there certain recommended courses?

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
This worked PERFECTLY!!! Thank you so incredibly much!!
You are quite welcome... I am glad I was able to be of help.

I have some more questions (not related to this thread): how did you learn all this? Is there certain recommended courses?
I have been programming in various forms of BASIC (the predecessor to VB), the compiled version of VB (prior to the VB.NET version) and VBA since 1981 (not to mention a few other programming languages across the years), so most of what I know comes from experience. You may be able to find some reference and/or tutorial materials from the following rather comprehensive list compiled by a gentleman who posts as hiker95 (I believe it to be his most recent)...

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ing-range-into-concise-table.html#post3911064

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back