Excel changing format from General to Text during macro execution

JAlbers

Board Regular
Hello everyone and happy Thursday!

I have a procedure that allows me to view and make changes to data in a table. I list the current values for the item in one column and use simple formula to copy that value to another column where if there are changes that need to be made, the formula is simply overwritten. The Macro is then selected using a command button and the formulas are all overwritten using copy/paste values to keep from writing out the formula to the data table. These values are then all written back to the data table, current values are overwritten with whatever is in the update column, new data or old data.

I have one cell out of 48 that has decided to march to the tune of a different drummer. The format changes from General to Text and the formula written from the macro is what shows up in the cell instead of the value of the formula. Never a big disciplinarian, I have to wonder if I have been too lenient on the cell and this defiance is the price I have to pay.

The sheet is protected only allowing entry into the cells available for update.

Here is the bit of code that affects this cell (starting from a format of General:

Code:
    Sheets("Product Data").Cells(ItemRow, 3).Value = Sheets("Update").Cells(6, 8)
    Sheets("Update").Cells(6, 8).FormulaR1C1 = "=(RC[-6])"

I just don't see anything that would change the format, and these are the only two lines that even reference cells(6,8).

I tried to set the format for the cell from within the Macro, but with the sheet being protected, it just dumps me out to my error message.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I was able to do a workaround by un-protecting the sheet formatting the cell then re-protecting the sheet again. I would still like to know why it wants to act this way, but at least I have it working.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back