Excel Chart Question - Temporarily Remove Data

Sparkyweb

Hi all,

I have often lurked here to find answers and have found it a great resource, but i have a tricky to search for question now, so its my first time posting here!

I have a set of data which results in a simple bar graph. This is based on the values such as the example below:

Company 1 = $4,000,000
Company 2 = $600,000
Company 3 = $500,000
Company 4 = $10,000
Company 5 = $230,000

and so on. For various reasons company 1 will always have the highest figures and of course this is making the bar chart pretty meaningless for all of the other data. Ideally i would like to add a check box onto the graph that i can tick and when it is enabled it will "turn off" company 1 so i can just see the data from the other company's.

Is this possible? Do i make sense?

Many thanks

Mark

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Welcome to the forum.

You could simply hide that row? By default a chart only plots visible data.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the prompt responses.
So with either of these options - can i enable them (or turn them "on" or "off") by using a checkbox?

If so how can i do this?

Upvote 0
You could use an autofilter, or you could use code to hide, unhide the row. Alternatively, you could link a checkbox to a cell, then have a formula that returns the actual value if the checkbox is checked, or a 0 if it isn't. Plotting that value rather than the original data would then allow you to toggle the large value on/off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perfect - Thanks for this.
I did a quick bit of research on hiding a row and now have the ability to toggle the data on and off.

The only way i could seem to do it was to remove the data when the box wasn't checked which is not my preferred route. But i can live with this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back