Excel charts - using Dates (specifically quarters of the year)

redheadclay

Hey, this is my first post. I am a long time Excel user, first time MrExcel, though. Here is my question:

I have been trying several ways just to show the quarters of the year on a chart with the format "Q#-" yy

How can I show this on the timescale of a graph? So far, I have set up custom date settings of "Q1-" yy for the first quarter dates, and "Q2-"yy for the second quarter dates, and so on. It looks nice in the spreadsheet, but when I chart it, the dates all show Q1. I think this may be because the excel chart takes the first cell's formatting and extends it to all data sets.

In the end, all I am trying to do is show a quarterly format at the bottom of my chart. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Welcome to the Board.

Can't you just construct a formula to return the quarter and use that column as the axis labels? Example:

="Q"&ROUNDUP(MONTH(A2)/3,0)&"-"&RIGHT(YEAR(A2),2)

Upvote 0
I added the formula to the spreadsheet (which worked wonderful). But when I select the chart, then Chart>Chart Options>Axes, my options to select time-scale is greyed out

Upvote 0
Assuming you have entered the formulas, right click the Chart and choose Source Data. On the Series tab change the Category (X) axis labels reference so that it refers to the column with the formulas. Then click OK.

Upvote 0
When I do this, I get the scale 0 -35 at the bottom, with no mention of dates. When I try to go to edit the chart options, and select axes for time-scale it is greyed out.

(again, thanks for your help)

It is a simple sheet, I am happy to email it to you...

Upvote 0
I am using a dual-axis chart (if that makes any difference), and there simply isn't any option to label the "category x axis label" in my source data sheet

Upvote 0
OK- I think I figured it out. I was using the XY chart type, which then locks out the option to label the x coordinates. Problem solved when I move to a typical line type...Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back