Excel Chess

termeric

Hello,

i was just wondering if any one had put together a good chess game using excel.

im currently just using a shared workbook with letters that represent the pieces and lowecase vs uppercase letters as teams. its crude but works fairly well.

thanks,

christian.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
height = 50
width = 12

conditional format the area to color the squares:
=MOD(COLUMN(),2)=MOD(ROW(),2)

* This pattern is incorrect (it's the inverse of what it should be) so color the conditional formatted cells white and then color the entire area manually a darker color to get the proper placement of the black to white setup - each player should have a black square on the left bottom when they face the board

I'm sure you could get graphics of chess pieces on google and just place them on your workbook.

This will get you started... To go further, you could setup a named range for each square and use that in VBA code if you wanted to program a history of moves and such.

Hello,

I've got a chessboard in Excel with autoshapes, but never continued to programm it. Could give you some ideas. Feel free to email me, I'll send you the file.

kind regards,
Erik

Ah, but one of the true pleasures of chess is the sight and feel of the wooden board and the contours of the pieces.

just_jon said:
Ah, but one of the true pleasures of chess is the sight and feel of the wooden board and the contours of the pieces.
YES!! fully agree (that's why I never finished the Excelchessboard)

BUT
for some - me included - one of the true pleasures of Excel is to create needless applications on the screen within the contours of the cells :LOL:

Making a chess AI would be quite a challange. Not only that, in a language as slow as VBA I'm sure the calculation time would be prohibitive. Although it probably would doable if you just made it for humans to play each other hotseat.

i whole heartidly agree that a wooden pieces and a face to face confrontation is the best way to play the game.

i ended up just sharing a workbook and used CAPS vs lowercase until a friend went out and got pictures of the pieces. it works pretty good on slow days.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you what I created about 6 years ago, back when I was foolish and all macros were recorded (hence why I know when it was created).

It runs off a dialog box (not even a userform) so you can see it is quite basic, but works quite nicely for a human v human match. I'm in agreement with Oorang that AI in VBA would probably be impossible.

You know whose opinion I'd like to get on this topic? Aladdin Akyurek. I know he is a LISP programmer, which makes me think he could offer a quite qualified response on the feasibility of using VBA for a Chess AI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prabhuk279

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back