excel click on first cell to find cell in other column with same value

littlepete

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all :)

I have given up on named ranges !!! they keep putting $ in front of rows and columns in the n.r. definition, result:
when rows are added half of the named ranges are wrong !

each row is one person, with his first name M and last name N ; mother in Ax and father in Ay.
of course mother and father are in the list too.

i have tried with named ranges to make the mother and father clickable links and they do end up on the row of mom and dad !
(as long as no rows are added !!!)
to make it easy to use, in the visible data of a person with links to mom and dad, i have put "links" so i can see there are links :)
hiding all columns between name of the person and the column Ax makes it still easier to go to mom's or dad's row :)

is there a good way to make sure when i click on Ax column with mom/dad's name, even after adding rows
i will end up on the row of mom and dad ???

thank you and have fun excellating :) !

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
something like this ?
so there is a hyperlink between "little pete" and "Big Pete" and "Mom Pete" (are the names of the parents in 1 cell ?)
I prefer doubleclick or rightclick on the name of a parent and VBA handles to jump to the parent's row.
littlepete.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1firstnamelastnameaa2a3a4a5a6a7fathermother
2littlepeteBig peteMom Pete
3s
4s
5s
6s
7s
8s
9s
10s
11MomPete
12s
13s
14s
15s
16s
17Bigpete
Blad1

Upvote 0
littlepete.xlsb
ABCDEFGHIJKL
3s
4s
5s
6s
7s
8s
9s
10s
11MomPete
12s
13MomPete2
14s
15s
16s
17Bigpete
Blad1

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
     If Not Intersect(Target, Range("TBL_Namen[[father]:[mother]]")) Is Nothing And Len(Target.Value) > 0 Then     'er is dubbelgeklikt in father of mother
          a = [transpose(TBL_Namen[Firstname]&TBL_Namen[lastname] & "|" & row(TBL_Namen[lastname]))]     'array met firstname & lastname & "|" & rownumber
          sp = Split(Target.Value)                              'split parentname on spaces
          fl = a                                                'copy to auxiliary array
          For i = 0 To UBound(sp)                               'loop through all the parts of the parent name
               fl = Filter(fl, sp(i), 1, vbTextCompare)         'filter if that part of the name is still in it
               If UBound(fl) = -1 Then Exit For                 'exif for is there are no longer possibilities
          Next

If UBound(fl) < 0 Then                                'nothing left
               MsgBox "vader/moeder niet gevonden", vbCritical, UCase("volgende keer meer geluk")
          Else
               rij = Split(fl(0), "|")(1)                       'last part in 1st match is the rownumber of the parent in firstname&lastname
               Application.Goto Range("A" & rij)                'goto that cell
               If UBound(fl) > 0 Then MsgBox Join(fl, vbLf), vbInformation, UCase("Meerdere mogelijkheden")     'msgbox in case of multiple possibilities
          End If
     End If
End Sub

Too messy to find something in your workbook, so i created a small example with a table and a "doubleclick"-event in the column of the father or the mother.

Upvote 0
littlepete.xlsb
ABCDEFGHIJKL
3s
4s
5s
6s
7s
8s
9s
10s
11MomPete
12s
13MomPete2
14s
15s
16s
17Bigpete
Blad1

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
     If Not Intersect(Target, Range("TBL_Namen[[father]:[mother]]")) Is Nothing And Len(Target.Value) > 0 Then     'er is dubbelgeklikt in father of mother
          a = [transpose(TBL_Namen[Firstname]&TBL_Namen[lastname] & "|" & row(TBL_Namen[lastname]))]     'array met firstname & lastname & "|" & rownumber
          sp = Split(Target.Value)                              'split parentname on spaces
          fl = a                                                'copy to auxiliary array
          For i = 0 To UBound(sp)                               'loop through all the parts of the parent name
               fl = Filter(fl, sp(i), 1, vbTextCompare)         'filter if that part of the name is still in it
               If UBound(fl) = -1 Then Exit For                 'exif for is there are no longer possibilities
          Next

If UBound(fl) < 0 Then                                'nothing left
               MsgBox "vader/moeder niet gevonden", vbCritical, UCase("volgende keer meer geluk")
          Else
               rij = Split(fl(0), "|")(1)                       'last part in 1st match is the rownumber of the parent in firstname&lastname
               Application.Goto Range("A" & rij)                'goto that cell
               If UBound(fl) > 0 Then MsgBox Join(fl, vbLf), vbInformation, UCase("Meerdere mogelijkheden")     'msgbox in case of multiple possibilities
          End If
     End If
End Sub

Too messy to find something in your workbook, so i created a small example with a table and a "doubleclick"-event in the column of the father or the mother.
the ease and speed when you write that stuff !!! wow !!!

Upvote 0
CAN PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

someone help me with my named ranges...

i correct them ; save the file ; check them ; looks all ok ; use them and click on it ; value totally changed !!!!!

i am getting very angry and crazy here !!!
i read everywhere the same and noone gives me the solution to a very simple use of a named range !!!

please :(

Upvote 0
i downloaded your file and used it locally on my computer.
I saw nothing in VBA to create "named ranges" there, so you do it for all of them manually, i suppose.
Then you do something and they are changed or gone.
What could have changed them ? VBA or you ?

Upvote 0
i downloaded your file and used it locally on my computer.
I saw nothing in VBA to create "named ranges" there, so you do it for all of them manually, i suppose.
Then you do something and they are changed or gone.
What could have changed them ? VBA or you ?
hello ;)

thanks for your reply :) !

the named ranges change each time after i click on the cell with the link to that named range:

for ex: my row is 2. mom's row is 144. dad's row is 170. our name is put in column B.
name of mom and dad are in Ax2 and Ay2.

the named ranges are made manually. in cell Ax2 (name of mom) is put : LINK : first Lastname and
there the named range is made : " =gegevens!B144 "

when i save all all is ok, i check again; then click and i end up in the next row or row before or 2 more or less...

so i wait now for adding new people because then all will be messed up...

thanks for your advice :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back