Excel code use to work on machine / now doesn't but works on every other machine - Code skips lines too

TexasFM3

All

Here is a interesting problem that I would love to debug.

I have a workbook that use to run great on a user's machine. However, now that same machine's Excel blows up when this particular file is opened. As a matter of fact any version old or new of this file gives up the Ghost. Funny thing is this tool is used on about 100 other machines with no issues.

I pulled the file to several other machines and verified the file opens up no problem and works fine. It appears to only be her machine that has been stricken.

So to try and debug something at all - I went into the workbook OPEN procedure which was the only thing I could imagine causing the blow up and placed a stop at the beginning of that code and then retried the file on her machine to try and debug what was going on. Opening the workbook stopped the code at the workbook OPEN and I started stepping through the code. Guess what - the code made it all the freaking way though no problem. Hmmmm... well that made no sense. I was hoping to be led to something.

So I remark out the stop and save off the workbook and ran it with the only thing having changed was the addition of the stop comment and viola the thing works.

Thinking something might have been unclogged (what that something is I have no idea) I tried running the tool again sans new comment. Excel once again gives up the ghost. I run the code with the stop comment and it opens no problem. So I am really scratching my head now. All I did was add in a freaking comment to the code. I mean REALLY!!!!

At any rate I am somewhat happy - after all I did place a very important comment in the code and the dang thing now at least opens without Excel giving up the ghost so YAY ME! the thing now works. (So I think)

But no... I then attempt to run the main meat of the workbook and low and behold the code acts like it is skipping code chunks and stuff not running when it is suppose to run and items happening without a care for waiting for code to complete before running the next line. I mean whole snippets of code are not being done. Example - if I connect the workbook to another spreadsheet to read data from it, all I get is the prompt saying complete, but nothing is being read from that spreadsheet.

As mentioned this code is used throughout the group and runs on about 100 machines, but this one user's machine is all of a sudden stricken with something crazy. After all - 3 months ago it was running fine on this same machine. I checked for recent installs of items that might have killed something, but can't see anything. We also tested her previous work done with this workbook using the same files she still has archived from that project and now it too gives up the ghost. Last March everything was great.

Shooting in the dark - Excel 2007 has been reinstalled on her machine, but that fixed nothing and it still giving up the ghost when that most vital comment is not added.

Has anyone ever seen or even heard of something like this and barring a complete system refresh are there any solutions?

FM3

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Thanks for the reply -

I am confused.

It seems like this utility you point to is designed to be used on the development machine? That would be my machine. However, the machines that are used throughout the group are straight users. They do not have reason to go into the VBA editor. Do you see this being something that should still be done?

The machine where the problem is occurring is a users machine. I assume that 99% of the machines being able to use the tool means that the affected machine itself has issues (software related or software update) as opposed to the tool itself? Of course, we all know what happens when we assume. :)

FM3

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply -

I am confused.

It seems like this utility you point to is designed to be used on the development machine? That would be my machine. However, the machines that are used throughout the group are straight users. They do not have reason to go into the VBA editor. Do you see this being something that should still be done?

The machine where the problem is occurring is a users machine. I assume that 99% of the machines being able to use the tool means that the affected machine itself has issues (software related or software update) as opposed to the tool itself? Of course, we all know what happens when we assume. :)

FM3
Is the code not on every user machine? I understood your initial post to say you were having problems running the code on a specific machine. That would be the machine on which I would install the code cleaner to see if cleaning corrects the problem.

Upvote 0
The Code is nothing more than a standalone Excel workbook with a ton of vba code within it. Users can email it to one another or they can pull it from a library where I store all the created tools.

Ill try and see what comes out of it. I am a bit confused what to expect from this but hell I'm up for anything at this point

FM3

Is the code not on every user machine? I understood your initial post to say you were having problems running the code on a specific machine. That would be the machine on which I would install the code cleaner to see if cleaning corrects the problem.

Upvote 0
Ok - Ran the tool. This is nice - I am not exactly sure what it is doing but the size of the tool did reduce by 1/2 meg from its normal 7MB size. running the tool... There was no more blow up, but I wonder if this is not due to my use of the most important comment I added to the code set earlier. The code however is still skipping code. Only on this one machine. It is acting as though things are happening too fast and it just zooms right through the code that follows. I could go through an add DoEvents all over the place to maybe get this to work but dang this is strange that 99 out of 100 computers function no problem... while just this one has issues. Any one know of any updates / patches / etc that could potentially cause this type of problem? I am simply awe struck that this is occurring.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back