Excel color palette

zookeepertx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,
It used to be that you could right-click to show the Cell Color palette to change a cell's color and then grab the palette and drag the whole box down so it showed all the time. You could do the same thing with the Font Color palette. Now, you have to right-click and select directly from the displayed palette instead of having the palette already there to just choose from.
I have several worksheets that I have to go through and evaluate a large number of cells, one at a time, then decide what color to make the cell. Because there are so many cells to evaluate, it's kind of a (small) pain to have to ask for the palette every single time I need to change a cell's color. Is there a way to get that little box with the color palette to show all the time like you used to be able to do?
Conditional Formatting won't work because there is such a variance of reasons why a cell needs to be a particular color.

This little box is what I'm talking about. Cell Color.jpg

(I hope this question is clear. I tend to "over-describe" things and confuse people when I'm typing/writing)

Thanks!

Jenny

And, on the subject of color mixing... What is Green doing in there anyway? The color wheel is based on Red, YELLOW and Blue. Green is between yellow and blue and is not a primary color. You have to mix those 3 - R, Y and B - to get whatever other colors you need, although white needs to be available to turn red into pink.
;)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Another color value question, Mark.

The Hex values are various mixes of numbers AND letters. How do those combine to mean anything? I mean, the numbers make sense: The higher the number, presumably the more of that color is involved. But what do the letters mean?

Upvote 0
vbModeless will keep it open until you close it.
I made one to try it with only 10 colors and it works like a charm.
As a matter of fact, I added it to the QAT Userform
I DID IT!! I figured it out!! I made a userform (following your suggestion in a previous post) that I can call up with a macro, and it STAYS OPEN as long as I need it to! I'm doing a happy dance over here!
1676410851302.png
Nothing I try to do ever works without someone fixing it for me. WOOHOO!

I did have a little trouble with the Hex code when coloring the labels in the userform because of the characters being in a different order, but once Google helped me figure that out, it all came together.
I used your code to make the macro to call up the Userform:
VBA Code:
Sub Show_Me()
    Color_Palette.Show vbModeless
End Sub

And then created all the colors of the labels. The coding for putting those colors into the cells is a bit long though. Is there any way to clean it up? And I assume there's no way to incorporate the Userform's coding in the macro module, right? Just in case someone else wants to use this, I'd hate if I gave them the macro module and forgot to give them the Userform module.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Label1_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label1").BackColor
End Sub
Private Sub Label2_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label2").BackColor
End Sub
Private Sub Label3_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label3").BackColor
End Sub
Private Sub Label4_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label4").BackColor
End Sub
Private Sub Label5_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label5").BackColor
End Sub
Private Sub Label6_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label6").BackColor
End Sub
Private Sub Label7_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label7").BackColor
End Sub
Private Sub Label8_Click()
ActiveSheet.Range(Selection.Address).Interior.Color = Me.Controls("Label8").BackColor
End Sub
(I didn't include the code for ALL the labels; it seemed redundant, LOL!)

Also, I created it all in a dummy workbook that I used to play with but want to have it all available in my Personal workbook. Do I have to do anything special to do that or can I just move the macro and the Userform into the Personal workbook in the project window. And do I have to change any of the coding? I only ask because I don't really get what Private Sub means. I googled it and only got more confused.

Upvote 1
Not really just know from the past what is available online and where to find it again.
Happy it helped
I know where to find a bunch of stuff, but since I've never needed to be concerned about Hex, I'd have had NO clue whatsoever where to even start.
(Mostly, I come here to find out things. ;) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello. I'm so very sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I've been in the middle of moving but hopefully will start to settle down this weekend.

Upvote 0
NOOOO!!!! My whole life is a lie!! o_O
Honestly... I still haven't recovered from the whole 'Pluto is not a planet's fiasco... and now this..?!

On a slightly related noted, did you see the post in the Articles section re: the Javascript MixBox.js colour library? (Link) it looks amazing. I'm determined to get ChatGPT to convert it into VBA for me (which as little hand holding or corrections by me as possible)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back