Excel compatability w/Google sheets and drive

DEllis81

Board Regular
I am being "encouraged" to modify existing excel spreadsheets to work with Google drive. In my little bit of testing - especially with conditional sumproduct functions - many of my spreadsheets don't work well in google docs. However, i do see references to additional array functions with google to get around this limitation, but obviously converting back to excel will be a problem.

1) Are there similar "cloud" file sharing technologies that work with excel and android smartphones? Avoid having to "redo" existing excel spreadsheets? Do newer versions of excel have "cloud" based sharing technologies.

2) Are there good resources (online sites, books, etc) that might help in my excel/google transition.

3) IF a (google) spreadsheet is on google drive, are there ways to link with a desktop excel based spreadsheet? Most of the cloud users, would be primary data entry - the reporting and analysis would most likely be done in a office/excel environment?

I appreciate your thoughts on best way to integrate excel with google drive, etc. I'm just looking for advice and training materials to get me started in the right direction.

thanks!
daryl

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
As I have been researching, etc - I am wanting to stay within the excel environment. I'm not convinced googlesheets is the solution for me, but what I am being pushed to do - is find a way that data can be entered via mobile computing (smart phones), multi users, but yet raw data pulled into a conventional desktop reporting spreadsheet. The data collected/entered via smart phones would be fairly simple, like a 4-5 columns - but that I could link (or sync) with a desktop version of excel.

Are there 3rd party sources - that somehow creates a normal file link to a google doc. Same as linking to a file within a desktop windows environment?

thanks for any thoughts on how I should proceed...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back