Excel compatibility issue 2013 vs 2007

greencroft

I have a file that has been sent to me by a third party that was created in Excel 2013.

I have 2007 as our standard issue at work. The file has been sent to me in both xlsx and xlsm form.

In both cases, the file opens fine in 2007 but in the case of 3 tabs only, just the act of selecting any of those tabs makes Excel freeze up, forcing me to have to crash out of it.

I have checked that there are no links to other non-available files, either explicitly or through named range definitions and there are none that I can see through the normal checks.

There are no macros.

Any other pointers to investigate would be welcomed.

I have since found a machine here at work that has Excel 2013 installed locally and the file opens and works fine on this. But I need to get it working for 2007 so it can be used by others here.

Many thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
If you open the file on the Excel 2013 machine, you can check for compatibility issues: File - Check for Issues - Check compatibility.

BTW: "a third party that was created in Excel 2013" :eek: Amazing what Excel 2013 can do!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I should add that the "Check Compatibility" tool in 2013 showed up no issues other than if I was trying to put it to 97/2003 format (which I am not).

Sorry for punctuation - it was the file that was created in Excel 2013, not the third party!

Upvote 0
Of course, I was just joking.

Searching internet indicate that checking add-ins may be worthwhile.

Otherwise I have no other clues for you.
Maybe the third party can help you out. Or anyone else on this forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back