Excel Custom Dictionary

npvrader

Board Regular
I used a tip ( believe I got it from Contextures, years back) about creating short cuts in my custom dictionary to "automate" typing of repetitive words or phrases. For years it has worked well. However, over the past 2 years or so, it won't autocomplete or correct the same code twice in a row. For instance I have a phrase that is set at "nhcb" = no hobbits climb back and another "clt" = can light this.... I can type in a cell nhcb and it types my phrase. I can follow that with another code CLT and it will type correctly and follow that with nhcb and it will type correctly. However, If I have to use nhcb successively (or any code sucessively) it won't work. After which I run several macros (including some that are event macros). If I need to enter the same code again, it won't autocomplete my phrase. Unless I enter a different code such as "CLT".... Then I can enter nhcb and it auto completes. Its as if the pointer gets stuck. As I said, I have several macros that run in between the times that I need to use another code: I turn windows refresh on and off, protect and unprotect the worksheet, and enable and disable events. I would think everything would be reset. I've been wondering if perhaps this is a version issue with excel since it may have stopped working when I upgraded to Excel 2016. Any ideas?

By the way, I just tried entering nhcb twice in a row in a blank excel sheet - it worked perfectly. So this has to be something that I have set in the macro environment that is creating some kind of interference. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back