Excel custom ribbon disappears when running macro

avcape

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a custom ribbon in Excel with macros assigned to it. One set of macros does just sheet/column formatting, sort data etc. Normal Excel stuff. Those all works.

Then I have two specific macros that removes the custom ribbon completely when they execute. Well, after the executed the Custom ribbon is gone.
After running these macros the customUI14.xml file is gone completely. The .xml file is just not there using the ‘Office RibbonX Editor’. The reference to the customUI14.xml file is also gone from within the _rels file.

These two macros each call a Python file outside Excel. The one macro calls a exe that automatically imports csv file and the other does all the formala calculation externally. No formulas in this sheet.

These macros runs fine with a custom ribbon that is created using the standard options in Excel. This same ribbon is displayed then on every excel menu.
They run fine when running the Macro directly or through the VB interface when using the standard ribbon with macros assigned to it..

I created a custom ribbon is just for this sheet using ‘Office RibbonX Editor’. Don’t want the same custom ribbon throughout Excel.

No funny ad-ons installed.
The Dir/folder I work from is set as ‘Trusted’ in the ‘Trusted locations’ in Excel.
This is on standalone PC. No network. No permission issues.
Running: Windows10 Pro 21H2 + Office Prof Plus 2019.

I will appreciate some input as to why this happens and how I can resolve this.
This is a serious issue for me for a project I'm working on for myself.

Thank you.

See below my customUI14.xml file and the two macros that destroys it.
Macros: Sub Import_CSV_Data_file + Sub Calculate_Stats.

Code:
<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui">
    <ribbon>
        <tabs>
            <tab id="HelpTab" visible="false"/>
            <tab id="c1.15050BD" label="ITTA">
                <group id="c1.151240B" label="DATA" imageMso="RecordsRefreshMenu" autoScale="true">
                    <button id="GTS.xlsm_Import_CSV_Data_file_0_15C570C" label="Import_CSV_Data_file" imageMso="SmartArtLayoutGallery" size="large" onAction="D:\Temp\01-Excel\GTS.xlsm!Import_CSV_Data_file" visible="true"/>
                    <button id="GTS.xlsm_Calculate_Stats_1_15C570C" label="Calculate_Stats" imageMso="OutlineSubtotals" size="large" onAction="D:\Temp\01-Excel\GTS.xlsm!Calculate_Stats" visible="true"/>
                </group>
                <group id="c1.1580F39" label="DATA Sheet" autoScale="true">
                    <button id="GTS.xlsm_Format_Columns_DATA_Sheet_2_15C570C" label="Format Column Layout" imageMso="HorizontalSpacingDecrease" size="large" onAction="D:\Temp\01-Excel\GTS.xlsm!Format_Columns_DATA_Sheet" visible="true"/>
                    <button id="GTS.xlsm_Sort_by_Date_and_ID_3_15C570C" label="Sort Date &amp;&amp; ID" imageMso="_3DPerspectiveDecrease" size="large" onAction="D:\Temp\01-Excel\GTS.xlsm!Sort_by_Date_and_ID" visible="true"/>
                    <button id="GTS.xlsm_Sort_by_Seq_Date_4_15C570C" label="Sort Date &amp;&amp; Sequence" imageMso="_3DPerspectiveIncrease" size="large" onAction="D:\Temp\01-Excel\GTS.xlsm!Sort_by_Seq_Date" visible="true"/>
                </group>
                <group id="c5.15B8EEA" label="SINGLE Sheet" autoScale="true">
                    <button id="GTS.xlsm_SingleSheet_Format_5_15C570C" label="Format layout &amp;&amp; Sort" imageMso="HorizontalSpacingIncrease" size="large" onAction="D:\Temp\01-Excel\GTS.xlsm!SingleSheet_Format" visible="true"/>
                </group>
            </tab>
        </tabs>
    </ribbon>
</customUI>

Code:
Sub Import_CSV_Data_file(control As IRibbonControl)

'Imports csv file in to Excel sheet.
'How? Executes an external exe file (python converted to exe) that does the import so I dont have to click that many times.

'call another macro that "cleans-up" the sheet - good to have but not a serious requirement.
    Call ALL_Del_Sort_Format_DATA_Sheet -

'Saves the active workbook before closing it.
    ActiveWorkbook.Save

'Waits 2 sec after previous command just in case.
    Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:02"))

'Calls link to the external exe that does the calculations. Call exe direct does not work for some reason.
    Call Shell("explorer D:\Temp\GTS\03-Code\import_csv.dist\import_csv.lnk", vbNormalFocus)

'Closes the workbook so the exe can write to the Excel file.
    ActiveWorkbook.Close

'The exe opens the same workbook again after it's done it's job.

End Sub

Code:
Sub Calculate_Stats(control As IRibbonControl)

'Calls a Python converted to exe file that does all the formula calculations outside Excel.

'call another macro that "cleans-up" the sheet - good to have but not a serious requirement.
    Call ALL_Del_Sort_Format_DATA_Sheet -

ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:02"))
    Call Shell("explorer D:\Temp\GTS\03-Code\main.dist\main.lnk", vbNormalFocus)

ActiveWorkbook.Close

End Sub

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back