Excel Data Extract

dmorri

I have the Lahman Baseball Data which is an ExcelSpreadsheet of every player to pay professional baseball which is massive spreadsheetof data. What I want to do is set up a spreadsheet that I can compare 2 playersstats for there full career. For example take the data from this spreadsheet andon a different sheet be able to type the players name for example Hank Aaronand compare the stats for Willie Mays and both players stats for there careerwould be next to each other and total at the bottom. Any help would beappreciated. Thank you.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Could be as simple as building a pivot table, or two pivot tables on the same source data. Then just use the player name in the filter field. Design the pivot table to display the stats however you'd like. Total at the bottom (by column), or to the right (by row) is a feature available to pivot tables.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I have the Lahman Baseball Data which is an ExcelSpreadsheet of every player to pay professional baseball which is massive spreadsheetof data.
Does that really fit on one sheet in Excel (Excel has a max over a little over one million rows)? I don't know off the top of my head how many players have played over the history of time, but I suspect it may be more than 1 million. If you have data for each year of each player's career, you are going to be WELL over the 1 million row mark.

Even if it does all fit, the performance of Excel may be pretty slow, if it has to filter through that many rows of data. So I don't know that Excel is the best job for a task like this. You may get better performance with a database program like Access, SQL, or MySQL.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back