Excel data lookup from another sheet based on selection

MaggieMarley

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have tried to solve this problem for days, but just keep running into problems.
Basically, what I need to do is populate a cell with a value taken from another sheet, but that selection in based on what options are selected.
I will try to explain what I am trying to do. The first image show sheet named 'Royal Mail' with postage costs for large letter (LL), small parcel (SM), medium parcel (MP) with a weight range across the top.

In the second main sheet, shown below and is named 'Series', I have a drop-down option for LL, SP, MP down column F and the product weight is shown down column E.

What I want to do is populate each cell down column G (Postage cost) after I select each option (LL, SP, MP) with the postage cost from the 'Royal Mail' sheet based on the weight in column E.
As the weights in column E do not exactly match what the Royal Mail data shows I need to have some sort of range.

If the weight is less than or equal to what's shown on the Royal mail sheet, then use that price but also matched against the service as well (LL, SP, MP)
I don't have to have the drop-down menu options for the LL, SP, MP as these can simply be hard entered into column F, as these won't change.

I have battled with Index / Match and just go nowhere.

Any ideas or suggestion on the best or maybe the easiest way to do this would be really helpful.

Thanks

On one sheet named 'Royal Mail' I have the following:
1662907710465.png

Then Another sheet named 'Series' I have: (Just a partly shown)
1662907861323.png

Attachments

• 1662907559319.png
    1662907559319.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
agrid lookup should work -
i have just posted a link to the tutorial Two-Way Lookups in Excel here

=INDEX($C$2:$F$4,MATCH(B8,$B$2:$B$4,0),MATCH(A8,$C$1:$F$1,1))

heres is an example which will go to the lower value in weight

you wil need to change the K to 000

Book3
ABCDEFG
2ll1234
3sm10203040
4mp100200300400
7weightpackagecost
8280sm20
9750mp400
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C8:C9C8=INDEX($C$2:$F$4,MATCH(B8,$B$2:$B$4,0),MATCH(A8,$C$1:$F$1,1))

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which is very time consuming.

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back