EXCEL DATA

J WILKS

I have a column in a worksheet that contains different Counties. I want to assign each County a different letter eg A, B, C, D - Some Counties will have the same letter assigned eg Lake = A and Geauga = A. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Jeanie :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi Jeanie,

not sure what you want herte, can you give more info, possibly an e.g.

HTH

Alan

Upvote 0
For example - column K1:K4555 will have counties listed in them such as Stark, Washington, Ashtabula, Geauga. I need to set these up to match a letter eg. Stark would be an A, Washington would be a C and Geauga may be an A. I hope you understand I need to break down the counties in areas and the area name will be A, B, C etc.

Jeanie

Upvote 0
why dont you give first letter to all the country by..

=left(a1,1) and then copy this formula to all the cell just by using autofilter handler.

Upvote 0
J WILKS said:
For example - column K1:K4555 will have counties listed in them such as Stark, Washington, Ashtabula, Geauga. I need to set these up to match a letter eg. Stark would be an A, Washington would be a C and Geauga may be an A. I hope you understand I need to break down the counties in areas and the area name will be A, B, C etc.

Jeanie

What is your criteria for assigning the letter to the county? Would a VLOOKUP do it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back