Excel Database merging to Word letter

mikecincotta

I have a templated letter in MS Word and information stored in an Excel file. I am wondering if there is a way to automatically merge certain fields in the Excel database to replace certain portions of the Word document. I also need to print an envelope for each modified letter. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? I am pretty familiar with setting up a mail merge but don't know how to automatically insert to a Word document.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Welcome to the Board!

You can use Mail Merge fields in your Word doc to pull from your Excel data. You wouldn't replace the Word fields per say, but have them setup as merge fields. The Merge wizard should be able to walk you through it.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I have tried this but one of the fields I want merged is a dollar amount. For example, it displays on Excel like $2,104.10 but when it merges it displays $2104.1. How do I get it to add the comma and the 0? Not all amounts end in zerpo, some are $22,104.11 but display as 22104.11.

Upvote 0
Take a look at "Field Switch" in the Word helpfile. Formatting gets lost between Word/Excel, but a field switch will let you reformat on the Word side.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help... However, I am still having a tough time.

This is how the original looks.

"FCRC Inc. specializes in forensic unclaimed asset research and has identified dormant assets belonging to your company totaling $«Amount». These assets are NOT in a searchable database or at any states unclaimed property offices."

How do I incorporate "{MERGEFIELD number \# $####,0.0}" to make the amount format correctly??

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for your continuous help BUT where exactly do I paste {MERGEFIELD Amount\# $#,##0.00} and where do I insert <<AMOUNT>>? How should my line look in order to get it to say

"FCRC Inc. specializes in forensic unclaimed asset research and has identified dormant assets belonging to your company totaling $2,104.10.These assets are NOT in a searchable database or at any states unclaimed property offices."

Instead of:

"FCRC Inc. specializes in forensic unclaimed asset research and has identified dormant assets belonging to your company totaling $2104.1.These assets are NOT in a searchable database or at any states unclaimed property offices."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back