Excel dataconnetion to acces prevents me from saving to database

MSKO

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello
i am using Excel for VBA in a userform and using excel as userinterface 8userform)
I have an acces database, frontend-DB and backend-DB, where data is stored.
I have made a dataconnection in excel wich gets all data from the backend-database to a sheet.
It is updated whenever i open the worksheet.
When i work with the data i my userform (VBA) i work with the data in the sheet.and i save data to the database (using the command: refresh.all)
Problem is that i cant save data to the database when i have the dataconnection in the workbook.
When i delete the data-connection in the workbook there is no problem saving to the database.
Does anyone know what i am missing?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Welcome to the Board!

Updating Access from Excel an be a bit tricky, and usually requires some specific VBA code (I don't know if you already have that code or not, since you have not posted any code).
Typically, I try to avoid doing this whenever possible. If the purpose of Excel is solely for a data entry form, why not just use Access's Forms?
I think they are much easier to use, and if your data is already in Access, then everything would reside in Access and you wouldn't need to involve Excel.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the velcome and reply
You are right about using Access forms, but my strategy is to make the frontend database and then create a backend database.
When doing that i give every user a folder containing a frontend database and an Excell workbook.
in that way i can make changes in the workbooks without risk of lossing data in the database.

My dataconnection is not made programmaticaly in VBA, but selected in the builtin-connectionpossibilities as followa:

From the toolbar I choose “Data” >> “From Access” >> select backend database (when prompted) >> Select the table ( when prompted) >> “OK” >> when prompted import data select “Table” >> “ Start in exixting Workshee” >> aelect =$A$1 (first cell – first column). >> “Properties” >> “Enable background refresh” >> “Refresh data when opening the file”

Herefter i save by the following VBA-code:

Private Sub CommandButton_Save_Click()
Dim Databasepath As String
Databasepath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\myDB.accdb"

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
Set rec = New ADODB.Recordset
cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & Databasepath & ";Persist Security Info=False"
cn.Open
esql = "SELECT * from mytable"
rec.Open (esql), cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
rec.AddNew

rec("Date").Value = TextBox4.Text
rec("Company") = TextBox44.Text

rec.Update
rec.Close
Set rec = Nothing
cn.Close
Set cn = Nothing

ThisWorkbook.RefreshAll
End Sub

Does it make sense?

rRgards MSKO

Upvote 0
You are right about using Access forms, but my strategy is to make the frontend database and then create a backend database.
Note that you can do the same thing with Access, that is have a separate front-end and back-end.
Actually, that is the recommended "best practice" for Access databases, to split the database and give person their own copy of the Access front-end.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back