Excel dates separated by comma instead of slash

StephenSLR

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
i.e. 15th of August used to look like 15/08/2017 and is now 15,08,2017

I discovered online, one solution is to change the date formats in Control Panel to 'Match Windows Display Language (Recommended).

This fixed the issue and later on I noticed in the bottom right corner of my computer screen (taskbar), the day from my Time and Date had disappeared.

It used to look like: Tue, 29/05/2018 which mysteriously converted back to 29/05/2018 in my taskbar.

I put the day back into my taskbar and noticed the commas reappeared in Excel dates.

If I put in the day into the taskbar without a comma i.e. Tue 29/05/2018 Excel displays the dates without slashes, i.e. 29 05 2018.

Is there a way I can have both the day in my lower right corner as well as slashes in my Excel dates?

Yes I realise one solution is to have Tue/ 29/05/2018 in the taskbar but that just doesn't look quite right.

s

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
In Windows 10, click on the date in the lower right hand corner and set the format to what you wish it to be.

As to dates in an excel spreadsheet, on the home tab, click on number section and adjust the format to what you wish it to be.

Upvote 0
In Windows 10, click on the date in the lower right hand corner and set the format to what you wish it to be.

As to dates in an excel spreadsheet, on the home tab, click on number section and adjust the format to what you wish it to be.

Did you even try this?

To set the date format in the taskbar to include the day, you have to go to Control Panel additional settings, date tab and set the short date to: ddd, d/MM/yyyy

Now open Excel and type in any date into a cell, does it have commas or slashes?

s

Upvote 0
Yes. I did try this and it works for me. I am using Win10 Version 1803, Build 17134.81

Upvote 0
Something is different with my system, if I click on the date in the corner a calendar pops up and there is no link to edit the format.

I have to go to Control Panel to edit this, as explained above.

I notice you have Tuesday above the date rather than in front of it are you able to place the Tue in front of your date instead?

What format did you use?

If I use ddddddd, d/MM/yyyy I get Tuesday, 29/05/2018 all on one line.

s

Upvote 0
I prefer a slender taskbar actually, just noticed there is a difference between yours and mine.

I also have the short date in my taskbar for some reason. Not sure if I can set that. Maybe if I set it to long date it may solve the problem, I don't know how to do that though.

s

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right click on the time/date and select adjust date/time.

Thanks, this gives me the option change my long and short date formats but does not allow me to change the display of the short date in the task bar to a long date. afaik

s

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back