Excel delay opening in Windows 10

Jan Kalop

Hi,
I am asking you a little unusual question, but after many hours of fruitless searching for a solution on the Internet, my last hope remains in the help of the members of this forum, which many times have been very helpful in my past in solving many questions.
For several months, even the simplest Excel files have been opening in Windows 10 with a very long delay, reaching times (depending on the file size) up to over a minute. Interestingly, by opening already the same file, for example, in the previously opened excel program, the time is a few seconds. I can't locate the reason for this problem, but according to posts on the internet, many people have a similar dilemma.
All solutions given on the internet, unfortunately, do not bring positive results in my case and I thought that maybe someone on this forum encountered this or similar case and knows the solution, or could suggest something new in this matter. Thank you for your interest in the topic and for helpful ideas.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
What version of Office are you using? where are the files stored? are you using One drive? is it possibly a delay in using your Microsoft account. What about creating a new local username on your computer which DOESN'T link to microsoft account, then log out of your existing account and log in locally and see if the files still take a long time to open. Note I spend most of my time working on a local account to avoid logging into ms

Upvote 0
What version of Office are you using? where are the files stored? are you using One drive? is it possibly a delay in using your Microsoft account. What about creating a new local username on your computer which DOESN'T link to microsoft account, then log out of your existing account and log in locally and see if the files still take a long time to open. Note I spend most of my time working on a local account to avoid logging into ms

Windows 10 Enterprise ,Microsoft Office 2010, localc drive Samsung SSD 256GB, file are stored on desktop folder, yeh I was thinking about new account, have to try

Upvote 0

I tested and it really is a major difference because Excel loads literally in a few seconds.
The only question that bothers me now is ... why a few months there was no problem when logging in as an administrator and now suddenly it happened.
It should be a solution because I personally don't like creating a new login just for Excel and setting everything up to my taste again.
Too much work and probably only additional loads for the computer.

Upvote 0

I do not know how it happened, but after creating a new account, opening Excel files and after logging in again, but as an administrator, all Excel files open now in a few seconds. The problem disappeared and I conclude that it was dependent on a microsoft account, but what influenced the positive transformation is not known exactly. It would be interesting to check whether after deleting the additional account the problem will appear again or not.
Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
I am pleased it solved the problem even if we don't know why. Predicting MS is always a guess!!

Upvote 0
Hi

I had a problem with Excel 365
to solve this problem
When the problem recurs, remember to clean temporary files on the disk.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back