excel document into outlook calendar ?

schmitt

Hi

Is it possible to import an excel document such as an annual shift roster into the calendar on outlook so that the shared calendar on outlook will show others the shift being worked by the individual on a particular week?

Thanks

ps I'm using office 2003 and win xp

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi schmitt,

Yes, this is possible. I would recommend doing it with Automation (if you are not familiar with Automation, see the topic "Understanding Automation" in the VBA helps in either Outlook or Excel). Whether you do it in Outlook (i.e., "pulling" the data from Excel) or Excel (i.e., "pushing" the data to Outlook) depends on the functionality you want, but I suspect that the latter would be more likely since the instant you make a change to the calendar in Excel you could immediately run a macro that would open Outlook (if not already open) and update the calendar there, saving you the trouble of opening it manually.

The code you would need depends upon the organization of your calendar data in Excel.

Damon

Upvote 0
Hi Damon

Thanks for the reply.

Although I am not conversant with VBA, I will spend some time reading through the help files. Your suggestion of "pushing the data" to Outlook sounds perfect for my requirements.

Any tips on scripting are most welcome.

Many Thanks

Schmitt

Upvote 0
Hi again schmitt,

A few tips:

1. Since you want to 'push' the data from Excel, you will want to be able to access the Outlook object model (enables you to get helps on objects, properties, methods, etc.) from within Excel. To do this you will need to go to Tools > References in the Excel Visual Basic Editor (VBE) and check the Microsoft Outlook xx.x Object Library checkbox.

2. The key in scripting this is in understanding the Outlook object model (in particular, the part of the model relating to the Calendar) well enough to put the desired Excel data into it. I would suggest spending some time in the Outlook VBE perusing the Outlook object model, and practice accessing its objects (e.g., creating and deleting Calendar items) interactively using the VBE Immediate Window (using Print statements to view property values, setting property values, executing methods, etc.). Once you understand the objects, properties, and methods you will need it will be quite easy to do these from Excel VBA.

I hope this helps.

Damon

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips Damon.

I can't seem to find any reference to adding colour labels to an appointment. Is this possible in VBE?

Thanks

Schmitt

Upvote 0
I assume you are referring to the Label associated with the appointment (e.g., a "Personal" label has a light green color). I can't seem to find out what property of the appointment sets the label. I suggest you post this question on an Outlook board where some Outlook experts could have a look at it.

Damon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back