Excel does not display data the same on 2 different computers

mastersesci

I did a small project for a local company that imports data from 2 source files (2 sets of 1000+ rows) and then looks for matching rows based on identifying characteristics.

The project needed a small change because one of the source file providers changed their date entries to text strings. I changed the code to use DATEVALUE and checked the macros on my computer without incident (around 1400 rows were populated).

When I sent the file back to the company, the user who runs it sees less than 100 rows populate.

I had the user run the macro, save the file, and send it back to me. While she saw only 100 rows, when I opened it the file as she had sent it I saw the expected 1400 rows.

I am using Excel 2003 and she is using Excel 2010.
I had a 3rd person test the files with Excel 2007 with no problems.

Any ideas as to what settings on her computer may be causing this problem? At this point I really don't think it has anything to do with the macro coding, although perhaps it is related to macro security level?

Thanks

Christopher

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hello
Again you can serve:
I noticed that in one version and the other in the VBA code and sometimes without a specific setting does not always recognize the uppercase characters to lowercase.
I think you're dealing with some formatting data that does not work in equal measure, try to use with standard formats: Val() ...

Upvote 0
Re: Excel does not display data the same - still need help

ISY

I'm not convinced it has to do with formatting. All of the rows below 7 have the exact same formulas, and pull from the exact same worksheets. I'm not using Val() at all as the VBA macro is only used to acquire the data from the source files and the rest is done with formulas within the cells of the report sheet.

The problem persisted even when I sent a file that already had 3000 rows filled with formulas. After the macro was run, only 41 rows showed data, and the remaining rows were blank. The macro does not contain any instructions to clear, delete, or copy/paste on to that worksheet so I'm not sure what is happening to the formulas that were there at the beginning.

The only way this may be resolved is with me sitting at her computer or maybe a fresh install of Excel, but I'm still looking for ideas.

Thanks

Upvote 0
update on Excel 2010 problem - ideas on reason?

After a great number of exchanged emails, one of the problems the user was having appeared to be that Excel 2010 was changing the row height to 409.5. This meant that while the information was there, the user could only see the top of the cell which appeared blank.

Being unable to determine why this was occurring, I conceded and added a line of code to force the rowheight to 18 as the last step in my macro.

The user emailed me that she still had blank rows. I had her use an empty cell to add the contents of H534 and H535 and she got the answer "6", which meant they were not blank, but contained the number 3 (as expected).

I ran the macro again and finally got a result similar to what she was getting. The rows were all set to rowheight=18, but below row 37 everything appeared blank, including the the row number designation on the far left of the work area. I determined that setting font color of the "blank" rows to black "fixes" the problem, but have no idea why. The cell background is currently white and the font color is set as "automatic". I added another line of code to the macro to set the font color of all used cells to black.

While it is meeting the user's needs I'd like some idea as to why the problem exists in the first place. There is no difference in cell content between row 6 and row 1000, but the issue always starts somewhere between row 30 and row 100 and extends down through the remainder of the used rows.

Upvote 0
Hello
Before starting a cycle, check if you have active filters, otherwise the hidden lines will not be read by the VBA code. To use the filter:

PHP:
If ActiveSheet.FilterMode = True Then ActiveSheet.ShowAllData

If I can give you other information

Upvote 0
Hello

One more thing I have ever worked with only vba Excel 2000-2003.
You may enter the code you used for research so as to interpret what could be the problem.

I wonder if during the cycle have disabled these events and to create you are not the problem.

To be executed at the cycle start
To completely disable the events use:
PHP:
Application.EnableEvents = False
also add:
PHP:
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Be reactivated at the end of the previous settings
Pending

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back