Excel Easter Egg!!! Need Help Deciphering

Aashley6580

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In column A enter any data, in whatever order, however, the text used in the next step must appear exactly 15 times. If you're lazy then enter your name in cells A1:A15

In cell C1 enter =A1:A1368="Doesn't Matter"

Select cell, press F2 key, then F9 key, and, lastly, "End" button and there it is... "耀" according to Google translate in Japanese it means brilliance.

It actually shows up in two places in the formula bar and in the "in cell" edit area.

Three clues that I found:
1. Range must have at least 1,368 rows. It can have more but can't have less... You can even reference the entire column (e.g. "A:A") and it still works. Also, seems to work in any column.
2. Whatever the text, and I tested several, the only important factor is that it appears exactly 15 times... no more... no less...
3. The symbol itself "耀" could be Chinese or Japanese or French for all that I know. However, in Japanese it translates to "brilliance" and I'm guessing whoever did this must think a lot of themselves to drop an Easter Egg in, perhaps, the most used business software tool in the world.

I did a lot of Google searches using the dates 1/3/68 and 3/1/68 looking for a significant event or B-day but nothing seemed to pop.

Any idea what this means?

1661185404393.png
1661185464071.png

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
For what it is worth, my excel shows ϓ. Seems as if it were a cutoff and parsing as a unicode character.

Upvote 0
For what it is worth, my excel shows ϓ. Seems as if it were a cutoff and parsing as a unicode character.
Thanks for the trying this out on your end. Seems odd that we are both using 365 but getting different results. Do you know if stuff like this is common?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the trying this out on your end. Seems odd that we are both using 365 but getting different results. Do you know if stuff like this is common?
Different regional settings could be coming in to play too.

Upvote 0
I get a different character entirely, and two of them:

1661191694574.png

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back