Excel Encounters a Problem when Using Macro Button

Kappy

Board Regular
I have a macro that copys values and deletes some sheets, then saves a copy.. I'll post the code below, but the code itself is not the problem.. it works exactly as it should.

The problem is that after it runs, excel shuts down and I get the message "excel has encountered a problem.." and something about needing to shut down and do I want to recover the file (this is in Excel 2010).

the STRANGEST part is that if I run the macro from the macro list, or from the visual basic editor... I DON'T encounter the problem..

however, if I use the command button that I set up, the macro still runs perfectly fine... but after running, excel shuts down!!

This is super frusterating, any help would be extremely appreciated!

Sub ValuedCopy()
Dim i As Integer, WkbName As String
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For i = 2 To 5
Sheets(i).Select
Cells.Copy
Cells.PasteSpecial (xlPasteValues)
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Range("F1").Select
Next i
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Sheets(1).Delete

For i = 11 To 5 Step -1
Sheets(i).Delete
Next i
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Sheets(1).Select
WkbName = ThisWorkbook.FullName
WkbName = Left(WkbName, Len(WkbName) - 5) & "_vc"
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs (WkbName)
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Yes, it is. It's on sheet(1) at the beginning of the macro.

So I assume you're saying that this is the problem... but that still seems weird since that sheet is deleted before any of the others, and the macro continues to run properly after deleting that sheet...

Any chance you know of a solution that doesn't involve moving the button to one of the remaining sheets? (the whole point is for all the controls and sheets used for calcuation to be removed leaving the user with a valued copy of the report)

Thanks for helping

Upvote 0
I get an error (Excel doesn't shut down though) if I have an ActiveX type command button on a sheet, and it runs code that deletes the sheet with the ActiveX command button. I'm guessing the problem with this method is that the code is contained in the sheet's module which gets deleted with the sheet before the code is completed.

If I use a Forms type command button assigned to a macro, and the macro deletes the sheet with the Forms type command button, I don't get an error. With this method, the code is stored in it's own module.

Note: I tested having an ActiveX command button call a macro (code is stored in a separate module and not in the sheet's module) and that didn't cause an error.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well that's interesting... and really just plain weird, because I am using a form control button assigned to a macro that is in its own module. And, or course as I mentioned, I'm not actually getting an error, just the shut down problem.

Anyway, I've basically given up (unless I find some new information).. I put the button on one of the pages that doesn't delete, and simply told the macro to delete the button before saving the workbook (working fine)... a little less professional looking, but oh well.

Thanks for your help AlphaFrog

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back