Excel Error Message

vlprice

I receive the following two errors when I use MS Excel. I am running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 8200) 256 RAM 80 Gig HD.

The first error only appears when I initially open Excel:

Microsoft Visual Basic
"compile error in hidden module:AutoExecNew"

I receive the next error only when I close Excel

Microsft Visual Basic
"compile error in hidden moduele:DistMon"

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Vernon

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Under Tools | Addins, uncheck all the Addins that are there. Then, try again. If that doesn't resolve it, look under the XLSTART folder, and move any files that you find to a different folder, and try again.

Upvote 0
I am having these same problems.

I have done both steps mentions to try and fix the problem. I have gone to Tools and there is no addins checkmarked. I have also verified the XLSTART folder and there are not files in this folder. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Excell several times and can not get it working properly. i keep getting the erros mentioned in the first post.

Can someone help mw with this. This use to work on my computer untill I unistalled it and reinstalled it.

Upvote 0
Andrew Poulsom said:
Did you look at the link I posted?

Yes I did. When this problem first accured I found one of those files on my hard drive and deleted it. Now if I do a search of my whole hard drive for any of these files it comes back as not found. So I know they are not on my hard drive.

I just now cleaned out all my temp files and clean up everything and did a uninstall and reinstall again and it still doen not work.

When I start excel I get the following error:
"compile error in hidden module:AutoExecNew"

When I close it I get this error:
"compile error in hidden moduele:DistMon"

But here is the one that will put a twist in it. If I run excel in safe mod by going to the run command and typing "excel /s". Then it will open and close with no errors.

Upvote 0
Norton AV ?

This problem can occur when the following conditions are true: • The Microsoft Office Startup folder or the Microsoft Excel Startup folder contains either, or both, of the following Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker add-in template files:
Pdfmaker.dot
Pdfmaker.xla
• Norton AntiVirus software is installed.

Upvote 0
Re: Norton AV ?

andre4dee said:
This problem can occur when the following conditions are true: • The Microsoft Office Startup folder or the Microsoft Excel Startup folder contains either, or both, of the following Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker add-in template files:
Pdfmaker.dot
Pdfmaker.xla
• Norton AntiVirus software is installed.

As I stated before. I do not have any of these files on my hard drive. I did a complete search of the hard drive and neither of them were found. I also looked in my Start up folder and my XLSTART folder. They are nowhere on my hard drive. I also do not use Norton for a virus program. I use another program called ETrust.

I would appreciate any help please.

Upvote 0
Attrol

Well i have an idea, uninstall office (again) then make sure from program files that all traces to microsoft office has been removed, use a registery scanner to remove all dead entries, reboot and try installing again.

Maybe it wil help. After all we are talking about "WINDOWS" here

Upvote 0
1 more thing

Perhaps you could also try a different copy of the installation source of office due to the possibility that the install source could be corrupted

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back