Excel file big for no apparent reason

ThomasHOL

I have a problem that one of my excel files have gotten unusually big and because fo thei also very slow.

I have identified the reason and it seems that 6 different sheets suddenly take up much more space than needed maybe because we are converting it from XLS format to XLSM as a part of coding new macros. The sheet is the primary way of managing the economy of our construction process and has been build up over the last 20 years and contains about 3000 lines of macro code and hundreds of named fields etc. So starting over is not really an option in the short run.

But as I said I have identified the offending sheet and I deleted all the other sheets in the workbook. I then deleted all the macros and finally i had a workbook that is about 2.6 mb in size. I then delete all the data in evet possible way i can think of. I simply select the entire sheet and delete all the data. I also tried the option to clear data and selected all. I checked that there is no conditional formatting or links to other files. All looks empty but the file is still 2.6 mb large

The only thing I can see is that if I do a CTRL+END I end up in the last row of the sheet but there is no way i can change this.

I have uploaded the file on my dropbox and you can find it here BigFileNoReason.xlsm

I hope you have any good suggestions.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Select all the cells, then set the Rowheight to 15, then save the file.

Upvote 0
Go to the last row of your content. Then highlight all the rows before this down to the last row in Excel, i.e., row 1048576, and Delete the rows. Do the same with columns, going across to XFD. Save the file and reopen. The file should be smaller now.

Upvote 0
Using this on your workbook reduce the size dramatically :

VBA Code:
Sub LipoSuction()
'JBeaucaire (8/3/2009)
Dim LR As Long, LC As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In Worksheets
    LR = ws.Range("A" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    LC = ws.Cells(1, ws.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column + 1

'Clear everything below column A last cell and row 1 last cell
        ws.Range(ws.Cells(1, LC), ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, ws.Columns.Count)).Delete
        ws.Range(ws.Cells(LR, 1), ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, ws.Columns.Count)).Delete
Next ws

End Sub

USE THE ABOVE ON A COPY OF YOUR WORKBOOK FIRST !!!

IF NO DATA IS LOST, THEN PERFORM ON THE ORIGINAL WORKBOOK.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back