Excel File corrupt and data lost

vijayendra.shukla

Hi All,

I have a shared excel sheet which got corrupt due to some unknown reasons. I replaced the sheet with old version and it worked fine for the team mates to update the data into it. But after some time it again got corrupted and most of the data got lost including the formatting and everything. This is the second time I faced this issue. Any idea why this is happing???

Refer to the below given error messages that i got.

1. I am getting this error message when I opened the shared workbook.

"The document is corrupt and cannot be opened. To try and repair it, use the Open and Repair command in the Open dialog (File Menu) and select Extract Data when prompted."
There is Ok button for this error message

2. When I clicked ok I got the below given error message.

"Error were detected in '<FILE Name>' but Microsoft office Excel was able to open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to make this repairs permanent.

Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been lost or corrupted."

Then there was Close button. when i clicked Close, I got my file with almost all the data lost including the formatting as well.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Shared workbooks are very prone to corruption. They are best avoided in my opinion. Sorry for the bad news.

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew for your reply. But you know, I never encountered this problem till today. Even when I replaced a new file, the same error occured:(. Isn't there something that is causing this error all of a sudden?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back