Excel File got corrupted for no reason. Need help immediately!

mahendru1992

I've been using excel as a log file for all my attempted questions. The file basically includes date, q no, source, time taken, correct and wrong answer columns. Now I opened the file today to access those questions since my GMAT is just 2 weeks away and most of the data is GONE! Please, Please help me as I'm in dire need of that Log.
Attached here is an image of what the file looks like right now. Some weird ###### has replaced all the numbers in the Questions column and random dates in the time column.
P.S This type of corruption also happened on the 2nd day of creating the file, but I thought of it as a single incident never really cared and I re-did the log again since it was no big deal that time.

I repeat again, if somebody can please please help me recover the data, I'll be hugely grateful.

Thank you!
29l1gmh.png
[/IMG]

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
try reformatting the time column to hh:mm:ss this will tell you if it is still a time

in question number see if there is a formula in there - if not format as 0.00 to see what happens

Upvote 0
try reformatting the time column to hh:mm:ss this will tell you if it is still a time

in question number see if there is a formula in there - if not format as 0.00 to see what happens

Okay, I'll try doing that, but what about the rest of the questions. The log had around 400-500 questions. Any way to get that like maybe a software or something?

Upvote 0
have you recently Emailed a copy of this to a friend ?

did it change overnight or on opening? or were you using it when it corrupted ? do you have anti-virus ?

Upvote 0
When you click on a cell in the question number column what is showing in the formula bar

Upvote 0
have you recently Emailed a copy of this to a friend ?

did it change overnight or on opening? or were you using it when it corrupted ? do you have anti-virus ?
1. Well I don't know if it changed overnight or not because I was out of town for 2-3 days and didn't touch the laptop for that much amount of time.
2. I saved the file and then went on doing about something else, so I don't think it got corrupted while in use
3. Yeah I have an anti-virus. Scan the laptop regularly too
4. and i haven't emailed or given the file to my friend recently

When you click on a cell in the question number column what is showing in the formula bar
Well the strange thing is when I click on cell b5, which is the first cell of the question number column, the formula bar states this 1/1/1900 date. But the subsequent cells have almost the correct formula - +b5+1, +b6+1 etc etc.

Upvote 0
Try selecting the column then click data, text to columns, click next twice then make sure general is checked then click ok.

Upvote 0
Actually scrub that click the cell with 1/1/1900, format it as number then type a 1 in it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back