Excel file on CDrom's

chunkymarkie

Hello everyone.
I wonder if you can help with this problem.
I am creating a spreadsheet containing 6000 plus rows and over 6000 pdf's linked to it.
This will all then be copied to a CDrom and distributed to customers for them to search the database and look at the hyperlinked pdf's.
Is it possible:
A) For the file to be self excutable when the CDrom is first inserted into a PC?

or

B) To be able to be used on a PC that does not have Excel installed on it.

Thank you all for your help. (y)

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
a) probably
b) no, or at least not in any straightforward manner
...describe in more detail what you're trying to get done.

Upvote 0
The database contains a list of 6000 tools.
Each tool is located in a tool cabinet.
Each tool cabinet contains 10 drawers.
Each drawer contains a selection of different tools.

The data base tells customers which tool is in which drawer and its item number in that drawer which corresponds to the hyperlinked pdf drawing of that particular drawer.

I was hoping that the customer would read the excel file from the CDrom each time he wants to look up tools.

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0
"I was hoping that the customer would read the excel file from the CDrom each time he wants to look up tools"

...give this description, how far down the development of a solution have you got, or are you only starting to scope it out?

Upvote 0
It is a working system, aleady in place and approved.
I am currently adding all the hyperlinks and item numbers.
It is approx 35% complete but works with the current information entered.
Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
OK - so you've got the excel-based solution sorted (I assume!) You're goingto have a realy problem if the intende recipients haven't got excel on their machines - why do you think they wont? & if they wont, why deveop in excel? have you considered a web-based option - even a web based version like exceleverywhere (not tried it might might do) - more info about your development needed...

Upvote 0
The completed database could be used on ships where I cannot be sure that they would have excel installed.
At the end of the day if they have not then they will not be able to use it.
The majority of customers have got excel however.
Both of these questions are the ideal but not 100% necessary as hard copies will be available if required.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
so, sounds you've got an app development problem, not an excel one. app development not really my area - though it is for some one the board.

perhaps, if don't get a decent response from the board, you could consider asking the consulting wing of mrexcel ( i'm not an employee, so that shouldn't be considred touting for business)...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike575

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back