Excel file seems to disappear after moving file to different folder, however data is intact if making a copy of the file.

winds

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have a weird question today. Today I moved a bunch of my files around to reorganise my computer, but once I move an Excel file to say folder A I found the data in the files are gone. However moving back the files to the original location shows the data is still intact. Even weirder if I make a copy of a file, and move that copy into the same folder A, the copy shows the data is still intact.

The temporary solution would be to make copies of the files but the problem here is there are too many excel files to make copies. The main question here is why data seems to be lost in the original file after moving to a different location, but an exact copy of the file shows the data can (and actually should?) still be intact.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I have a weird question today. Today I moved a bunch of my files around to reorganise my computer, but once I move an Excel file to say folder A I found the data in the files are gone. However moving back the files to the original location shows the data is still intact. Even weirder if I make a copy of a file, and move that copy into the same folder A, the copy shows the data is still intact.

The temporary solution would be to make copies of the files but the problem here is there are too many excel files to make copies. The main question here is why data seems to be lost in the original file after moving to a different location, but an exact copy of the file shows the data can (and actually should?) still be intact.
Hello winds,

I guess today I can say that I have lived to see ALL MS-Excel issues and idiosyncrasies. That is indeed strange and undesirable. Here are some of my questions:
A) When you say "I found the data in the files are gone." how is that done? Do you open the file in Folder A and you anticipate to see worksheet contents but you don't see anything?
B) When you move the file to Folder A and look at the file in say File Explore does the file have any size listed in the details view? It should since the data is still there as you say.
C) Might Folder A be on a Solid State drive, for example an SD Card?
D) If C is true, or for that matter did you run diagnostics on the drive containing Folder A?
E) What happens to the workbook if you copy it to Folder B next to Folder A that is on the same drive? If that works then you may have a bad sector on the drive! Do you know about the MS-DOS commands that can help such as CHKDSK and its switches?
F) If C is true did you buy this SSD drive from an Online store? Oh Babe if that is true then you are in for a rude awakening!

OK that is what I have for now, keep us posted.

Monty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back