Excel File Size

sbaxter4

Board Regular
I sent a coworker an excel file and it was 2.4MB and when they sent it back the size more than double and they really didn't change anything what would cause this?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Allow to just ask the obvious question first...

Did they include the original email in the reply back to you, so that there are now two copies of the file in the email, thus doubling the size of the email?

Or is the actual file itself, when detached from the email, twice the size of the original?

If so, what kind of changes did they make?
Did they format any empty ranges?
Are they using the same version of Excel that you are?

Upvote 0
It's the file size. I'm trying to delete a row and the system just hangs and I don't understand why.

Upvote 0
Can you respond to the question I posted at the bottom of my first reply?

Also, is there any VBA code involved?

Upvote 0
No VBA and yes the same version. If I take the same file and delete the last sheet the file size reduces from 4.45MB to 388KB. If I try to delete a row in the last sheet it will lock up my computer. I running excel 2003 on a IBM T43.

Upvote 0
If you hit CTRL-END while on that last sheet, does it go to the end of your data, or way past the last row/column of your data?

If it goes way past the end, then a large range may have been formatted, and even though there is no data in it, Excel is saving that entire "empty" range, using up unnecessary memory.

Upvote 0
My data ends AF 41 and when I hit CLT END it goes to AF41. I've tried deleted all of the data, formating and the file size still will not reduce. If you scroll the mouse the spreadsheet seems real slow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back