Excel file, with macros, opening in OneDrive, Google Drive etc - need advice, pls

PurrSent

Board Regular
I have an Excel file, which has macros, which is to be accessed by 3 people in different locations. I've discovered that the macro files must also be on each individual's machine for them to work (yes, I'm rather niaive on this stuff ;) )

1. With OneDrive and (paid for) 365, will it be possible to open, and work on, the Excel file (using Macros)? If so, presumably the macro files would also need to be in OneDrive so could they just sit in a folder or would they need to be in the same folder as the file?

2. Would this also work with the 'free' 365, should it be necessary?

3. Would this set up work in Google Drive (I suspect not)?

4. Would it be neccessary to download the Excel file to work on, regardless of where it was in the cloud?

I'm unsure as to how these 'drives' work with regard to opening/working on them in the 'cloud'. Would someone be able to explain and/or recommed the best method of sharing such Excel file, please, or point me in the direction to find this information. I don't know quite how to phrase it for Google search ;)

Please ask if you need any further information to help you understand what I'm trying to ask.

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hi, you can save an xlsm or xlsb anywhere on the cloud OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive... one does not affect the other.
You can open any file in excel regardless of their location.
Just do not open an excel file with any other software and expect a 100% back compatibility.
Using daily excel files located one OneDrive without any issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks @cyrilbrd

Apologies for the delay in replying. I've been unusually busy recently

Thanks for the confirmation that Excel files open in OneDrive. Does this include files using macros, though?

I'm still unsure about opening an Excel file using macros in OneDrive, with/without MS 365 (paid for) and where to put the macro files for it to access, without Excel installed on device.

Presumably, this wouldn't work in Google Drive, nor would it work using Google Spreadsheet (or whatever it's called)

I can't experiment as I don't have MS 365 and I do have Excel installed.

Upvote 0
Does this include files using macros, though? Yes, it does not matter the file size nor the content or the extension.... Well file size will if you exceed your cloud limit.
"...without Excel installed on device. " you won't be able to open an excel file on a device which does not contain the excel program. You will be able to open an excel file using LibreOffice or Google Sheets but some functionality may be 'lost in translation'.
Although LibreOffice might work with some VBA (LO Basic.)

Upvote 0
Thanks, again
So, using OneDrive and MS Office 365, in cloud, (ie without Excel installed on device) where would I store the macro files, please?
Many thanks

Upvote 0
Sorry for the misunderstanding, unless proven incorrect by another member of this forum, one may be able to open an excel file without Excel, but one may not be able to enjoy 100% of an excel file functionality if one will use another non Microsoft product such as Google Sheets, LibreOffice, Numbers, FreeOffice, OpenOffice, Zoho Sheet ...
The location where the file is saved (here cloud) has nothing to do with the above sentence.

Upvote 0
Hi cyril

it seems we're still not quite understanding what I'm asking. I suspect you haven't used MS 365 yourself. If that's the case, you may not fully appreciate what I'm asking and no reason why you would. From my understandinhg, one can use 365 either on line, withing OneDrive, ie without having to download to use it, or off line, ie as when Excel 2010 installed on computer.

I think the only way this can be answered would be if someone has got the paid-for version of MS 365 and actually done it. I don't have (paid for) MS 365, only Excel 2010 installed on PC and Laptop so I can't try it out and, clearly, I don't have any experience of using 365

I do appreciate your patience and trying to help.

Many thanks
PurrSent %

Upvote 0
As stated in my signature, I use myself 365 Pro plus. Said license allows you to use either the web version (I believe this is what you are trying to refer to), as opposed to the application.
Office online and OneDrive are two different things.
As for the ability to run VBA on the web version (if this is your question) please read this.
If not, then disregard, I shall let other more knowledgeable answer your question.
Thank you for your patience.

Upvote 0
As stated in my signature, I use myself 365 Pro plus.
Thanks, I hadn't appreciated that the 'O365P+' translated to Office 365 Pro Plus. It's typed very small and faint. Perhaps my eye sight isn't as good as I thought ;)

Said license allows you to use either the web version (I believe this is what you are trying to refer to), as opposed to the application.
Yes, this gives me a bit more information regarding using MS 365

Office online and OneDrive are two different things.
Yes, I understood this already ;)

As for the ability to run VBA on the web version (if this is your question) please read this.
Thank you, that link answers my question and I can't do what I had hoped

Many thanks for all your help. I've now got an answer, even though not what I had hoped for ;)

%

Upvote 0
Most welcome. Thank you for your feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back