Excel file with remote authorization

3creddy

Hi, I am building an excel tool for a client and want to allow access to the tool period by period (say 1 month at a time) depending on whether a subscription fee has been paid.

My idea to do this is to have the tool open with all sheets locked and unusable and connect to a remote location (say my webserver) to request authorization..which could be a simple yes/no message. If the server responds with a yes, the tool then opens fully / sheets unlock and allow usage. If the server responds with a no, I want the tool to not unlock the sheets.

I know I can lock/unlock sheets and set up a password that sits within the tool. My reason to build in remote authorization is that I will not physically have access to the excel file once delivered to client and need a way to guard against non-payment of subscription fee.

Any help much appreciated. If you need further detail, please ask

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi welcome to the board.

These are just my thoughts:

Excel security is not sufficient to protect proprietary data or code with intellectual property value.
To afford better protection & ensure the licence terms by your end users are adhered, I would suggest that you consider using a 3rd party Excel Compiler. Most have registration/license management features to protect your compiled Excel workbook from illegal copying etc. & will probably achieve what you want.
There are plenty out there just google Excel Compiler.

Final point, whilst you may own the intellectual property rights to your work, your clients own the data they enter – any restrictions you apply to a product with an expired licence should not prevent your clients gaining access to their data.

Others here may have further thoughts.

Dave.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back