Excel First Look At Lambda Helper ByRow And By Col 2415

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jul 28, 2021.
A first look at the new Excel functions BYROL and BYCOL. These functions, released to Insiders Fast this week are designed to be used with LAMBDA functions.
Read more about the 7 functions here:
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast episode 2415. First look at these new helper functions for Lambda.
BYROW and BYCOL. Hey, welcome back to the MrExcel Netcast.
I'm Bill Jelen.
The seven new functions came out this week to Insiders Fast. 50% of insiders fast.
I was lucky enough to be on the the lucky 50% this time out.
Today we're going to take a look at. ByRow and ByCol.
These are all designed to work inside of Lambda functions or with Lambda functions and make things a little bit easier.
Things where we had to use and iterater before - we won't have to do that .
And so BY COLumn says we're going to pass it an array and it's going to evaluate that array one column at a time.
So just a really simple example here. I want to get the MAX of each of these columns in the array.
I'm going to pass it as a single array.
So, BYCOL A16 to D16, and then here's my Lambda built right into the formula.
So we're passing in array and then for each column in the array, by column, it's taking them Max of the array.
So I press enter, one formula spills, gives me 777, 666,554, and 221.
If I would change this to be 3333 and it obviously updates That same formula expands. I inserted a bunch of columns in the middle.
Here, the same formula figures out how many columns are in the array and returns one answer for each of those. Once you get the hang of that.
Very similar to do BYROW.
So pass it this whole array here and then for each row in the array take the Max function or the average function and it will return those results. Two cool new functions.
We will take a look at the others over the next few days of videos.
All of these, of course, making my book MrExcel 2021 ready for an update.
I wonder what kind of a pun I can come up with in 2022 for the next edition of this book.
If you like these videos, please down below like subscribe and ring the bell.
Feel free to post any questions or comments down in the comments below.
I want to thank you for stopping by. I will see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

I went to look to see if these were available to me yet. When I opened the Insert Function Box via the Button to the left of the Formula Bar, there are several functions in a different language (not english). Help is available on some and not on others. I reported it to Microsoft via the Smiley, however I guess if more people have and report the bug the better for all.

Two are shown here in this screenshot:

Insert Function Bug.jpg

Is it possible that those extra functions are provided by an add-in on your computer?

1627515342396.png

No add-ins other than XL2BB... There are a ton of them that begin with the letter "O". Also, they do not show anywhere from the Ribbon Formula tab.

Interesting. When I make a Google search, all I can find is a French book content published in the 1990s that contains these two function names in a table of Quatro Pro, Lotus 123, and Excel functions.

Look at a portion of the "O"s...

Insert Function Bug2.jpg

Thanks for reporting this, igold! I don't have those. You might have unlocked some sort of experimental feature that is coming in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back