Excel for Hand Calculations

rdaita

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to write a macro which would help one to do calculations where you need to show the equation which you are using and you are substituting the values of the variables in the equation.

This is more like doing a math problem in a exam where you need to show each step you do and each equation you use. Can someone help me with suggestions and places to start with. I know a little about writing macros and using userforms etc to make a excel sheet look like a program.

I was wondering if this is possible, if so please let me know.

Bobby

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Almost anything is posible, if one can describe the problem accurately and clearly. I would suggest that you post a small example of what you want to show, including where and what you or the user will be inputting. Then, we can talk about ways of accomplishing your task.

Upvote 0
hand calculations

hi, thanks for the response so here are the details, let me know if this is possible

i need to write a small excel sheet which would let me input some values that are variables in an equation, i want excel to subsititute these numbers in the equation and then show me the result

like lets say for example i have this equation
ax2+bx+c (2 is square, shud be a superscript) say 5x2+6x+2

now if i input the value of x, what we usually do is to write the equation as forumla for the cell and once u give a value to x excel wud give u the calculated value , say u give a value of 2 then excel will directly give u the answers 34 but i want it to show first
5*(2)2+6*(2)+2
and then show the result 34 it is more like doing math in a exam where u show the steps of calculation rather than the end result itself.

let me know if this isnt clear
thanks for ur response
bye

Upvote 0
You can name a cell and use the name in a formula. For example, enter the letters a,b,c,x, and y in A1:A5. Now, select A1:B5 then select Insert | Name > Create... In the resulting dialog box ensure 'Left Column' is checked.

Now, in B5, enter the formula =a*x^2+b*x+c_ Better yet, enter the formula by clicking on the various cells.

Note that some names are disallowed. In such instances XL appends an underscore to the desired name (c_ above).

To see how XL evaluates the formula first make the Auditing toolbar visible -- if it is not already -- with View | Toolbars > Formula Auditing. Next, select B5 and from the Auditing toolbar click the 'Evaluate Formula' button. In the resulting dialog box, click the Evaluate button to see how XL processes the cell formula.
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to write a macro which would help one to do calculations where you need to show the equation which you are using and you are substituting the values of the variables in the equation.

This is more like doing a math problem in a exam where you need to show each step you do and each equation you use. Can someone help me with suggestions and places to start with. I know a little about writing macros and using userforms etc to make a excel sheet look like a program.

I was wondering if this is possible, if so please let me know.

Bobby

Upvote 0
Tushram's solution is probably a very professional solution. My solution isn't, but it might be more easily understood.

Start as Tushram starts, by entering the letters shown, in these cells:
In A1, enter a
In B1, enter b
In C1, enter c
In D1, enter x
In E1, enter y

In B6, write your equation, as: y = ax^2 + bx + c

Finally, in E2, enter: =A1*D1^2+B1*D1+C1

Now, under the cells with the a, b and c, enter the constants a, b and c, in the corresponding cells A2, B2 andC2.

If you enter a value for the variable x, you will immediately see the answer for y.

Done!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back