Excel for Mac performance issues on Catalina

honkin

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have searched high and low on both this forum and on the net in general, but am unable to find any sort of way to stop this.

I just upgraded to Catalina on the Mac and also upgraded Office to 2019. Excel now shows as 16.51. Prior to the upgrade I was getting a lot of the spinning wheel when working, even on small files. I completely uninstalled the previous version of Office and did a clean install of it. Now, every few clicks, I get the wheel and it lasts for maybe 4 or 5 minutes each time. It can happen when trying to scroll, or simply click in a cell.

It is only Excel-specific, which is why I am asking it here. There is 32Gb of physical RAM and over 200Gb free on each of the 2 drives, an SSD being the system drive. I mean, I work in Adobe Premier and Adobe After Effects, which take up vast system resources, yet experience none of these sort of issues which Excel presents. It is surely NOT system-related, as ONLY Excel exhibits this problem.

Oh, when it happens, the Activity Monitor shows around 8Gb of memory used by excel and 23 threads. With 32Gb on board, it hardly seems a memory issue

I am at my wits end, as am unable to work this way, with any simple task in excel taking so long. I generally turn off auto calculations when working, but even with it on, it is the same thing.

Do any of the members here know any solutions to this issue? The majority of the remedies online deal mainly with stopping the wheel when it happens, Force Quit, which is of no value when working. I need to stop the issue

Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back