Excel for multiple users

drvirus5528

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an excel file that will be used by multiple users to collect data for months but one specific column is always left empty and I want to make that column mandatory.
I tried but I could only make one cell mandatory and the rest would not respond and the next try, I could make a couple of cells mandatory but if I fill only one row, the empty cells not populated does not allow me to save.

How can I get this column to be mandatory, be able to be saved and closed by a user for another user to pick up and populate as well?

Please any idea will be great.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
In the Workbook's Before_Save event, you could have code checking the values in that column. I assume you're not wanting to check all 1 million+ rows in that column, and that there will be data in a different column which will then require a value to be entered into your required column.

For this example, I've assumed the required column is D, and that you want a value in that column any time there is a value in column A. The code finds the last used row in column A, then scans through column A checking to see that it has a value and that column D does not have a value. If so, after scanning the used range, it then puts up a message saying which cells in column D are required and then cancels the Save process. If no exceptions are found, it proceeds to Save the file.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
Dim ce As Range, lastrow As Long, str As String
lastrow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Each ce In Range("A2:A" & lastrow)
    If ce.Value <> "" And ce.Offset(0, 3).Value = "" Then
        str = str & ", " & ce.Offset(0, 3).Address
    End If
Next ce

If str <> "" Then
    Cancel = True
    MsgBox "A value is required in cell(s) " & Mid(str, 3, Len(str)) & " before saving this file."
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
In the Workbook's Before_Save event, you could have code checking the values in that column. I assume you're not wanting to check all 1 million+ rows in that column, and that there will be data in a different column which will then require a value to be entered into your required column.

For this example, I've assumed the required column is D, and that you want a value in that column any time there is a value in column A. The code finds the last used row in column A, then scans through column A checking to see that it has a value and that column D does not have a value. If so, after scanning the used range, it then puts up a message saying which cells in column D are required and then cancels the Save process. If no exceptions are found, it proceeds to Save the file.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
Dim ce As Range, lastrow As Long, str As String
lastrow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Each ce In Range("A2:A" & lastrow)
    If ce.Value <> "" And ce.Offset(0, 3).Value = "" Then
        str = str & ", " & ce.Offset(0, 3).Address
    End If
Next ce

If str <> "" Then
    Cancel = True
    MsgBox "A value is required in cell(s) " & Mid(str, 3, Len(str)) & " before saving this file."
End If
End Sub

Thank you very much in this case, I have column E to make mandatory. Row 3 is where input begins. I am attaching an image of the exact sheet here for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-22 091107.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-22 091107.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
So do you know what to modify in the code to suit it to your needs? If not, then make these adjustments to three lines:
VBA Code:
For Each ce In Range("A3:A" & lastrow)
    If ce.Value <> "" And ce.Offset(0, 4).Value = "" Then
        str = str & ", " & ce.Offset(0, 4).Address
Again, this assumes that you only want to verify there is a value in column E **if a value exists in column A**. If you want to verify against a different column, adjust the range references from "A" to "B" or "C", etc., and then change the offset value from 4 to the # of columns away from column E (positive or negative).

Upvote 0
So do you know what to modify in the code to suit it to your needs? If not, then make these adjustments to three lines:
VBA Code:
For Each ce In Range("A3:A" & lastrow)
    If ce.Value <> "" And ce.Offset(0, 4).Value = "" Then
        str = str & ", " & ce.Offset(0, 4).Address
Again, this assumes that you only want to verify there is a value in column E **if a value exists in column A**. If you want to verify against a different column, adjust the range references from "A" to "B" or "C", etc., and then change the offset value from 4 to the # of columns away from column E (positive or negative).

So honestly I am super new to excel so I can use your help in knowing where to change what to suit my needs.
please help me with the complete code referencing from the image I posted earlier and I will test and let you know.

Upvote 0
I already posted the lines you'll need to change based on my assumptions.

Upvote 0
I already posted the lines you'll need to change based on my assumptions.
Okay . I suck at codes so I will read through over and over to understand and apply. ... Thank you and if I get any other question I will ask.

Upvote 0
To start in row 3, you just need to change "A2:A" to "A3:A".

To reference column E instead of column D, you just need to change the two references of "ce.Offset(0,3)" to "ce.Offset(0,4)". (Column D is 3 columns to the right of Column A, while Column E is 4 columns to the right.)

Upvote 0
To start in row 3, you just need to change "A2:A" to "A3:A".

To reference column E instead of column D, you just need to change the two references of "ce.Offset(0,3)" to "ce.Offset(0,4)". (Column D is 3 columns to the right of Column A, while Column E is 4 columns to the right.)
I cant be grateful enough.. That is so much better of an explanation. I will update the community when I test is all out... Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back