Excel format? (I don't really know what's the problem here..)

L

Legacy 386498

Hello,

I have an Excel file that is pretty simple, 2 cells are link to other tabs and the third one sums the first two. Problem is I want to hide the decimal (whole numbers only), but when I decrease the decimals in the first two columns, the decimal disappears. So for example, 6.35 becomes 6.4 and 6.40 instead of showing 6.35 again. Even if you undo, it will show 6.40.

Also, if you hide the decimals from the first sum (cell C3), cell F3 will show an error (#DIV/0!), even if the sum is higher than 0. Can anyone explains why?

I've uploaded the file here:

http://www.filedropper.com/excel

Thank you and have a nice day.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi,

Based on your uploaded sample, I don't see any problem as you described.

When and if you change the decimal places within "Number" formatting, Excel does Not change the value itself, it's "showing" you what you told Excel you wanted to see, value did Not change, only Visual.

And your #DIV/0! error is correct, in all the error cells within your sample, you were dividing by 0 (zero).

Upvote 0
That's weird. So if we take cell A6 (192.93) and you decrease one decimal, the sum still shows 192.93 and not 192.90? And if you undo, cell A6 is still 192.93?

Also, for the #DIV/0! error, I created a new Excel file from scratch and uploaded the file:

http://www.filedropper.com/book1_20

You can try at home with a new Excel, but this is the normal behaviour I'm expecting from Excel, in this file decrease the decimals from cell C2 so it becomes a 0, you'll see that cell F2 didn't become #DIV/0!, the result stayed the same whether you can see the decimals or not (like you said, the visual changed, but not the value). So I'm trying to know why it isn't the same with my other file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back