McNeil87

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hello!

Am trying to write out a nested IF formula (if that's the best approach). This is what i have so far, but, I do not think it is correct.

=IF(I14>F14,"Ahead of Target","Behind Target"),IF(O8>=1,"Target Achieved","Target Not Achieved")

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hello!

Am trying to write out a nested IF formula (if that's the best approach). This is what i have so far, but, I do not think it is correct.

=IF(I14>F14,"Ahead of Target","Behind Target"),IF(O8>=1,"Target Achieved","Target Not Achieved")

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always!
the formula wouldnt work as is effecitvely 2 seperate formula. what is it you want to achieve.

Upvote 0
Solution
You need to determine your order of events/things to check.
It appears that you have three cells that you want to look at I14, F14, and O8.
Which one should it check first/last?

Upvote 0
You need to determine your order of events/things to check.
It appears that you have three cells that you want to look at I14, F14, and O8.
Which one should it check first/last?
the formula wouldnt work as is effecitvely 2 seperate formula. what is it you want to achieve.
Right, they are two separate formulas. Is it possible to combine the two into one? Essentially, i want to say if I14>F14, "Ahead of target", else "Behind", OR, IF cell N8>=1, then "Target Achieve", else Target Not achieved." Maybe it's a type of formula best not to combine? Order of operations would be to look at cells I14 to F14, then O8. thanks!

Upvote 0
Right, they are two separate formulas. Is it possible to combine the two into one? Essentially, i want to say if I14>F14, "Ahead of target", else "Behind", OR, IF cell N8>=1, then "Target Achieve", else Target Not achieved." Maybe it's a type of formula best not to combine? Order of operations would be to look at cells I14 to F14, then O8. thanks!
I dont think that would work because I14 is either going to be TRUE (greater and = AHEAD) or FALSE(less and equal Behind).
The only way it would move to the OR look at N8 would be if I14=F14.

Upvote 0
I dont think that would work because I14 is either going to be TRUE (greater and = AHEAD) or FALSE(less and equal Behind).
The only way it would move to the OR look at N8 would be if I14=F14.
Right -- thank you!

Upvote 0
They could all be put into one formula, but then not it will only return one value, and it appears that you are checking two totally unrelated conditions.

So, based on your criteria, I see 6 different combinations. If you can tell us what you want to return in each situation, we can help you come up with a formula to do that:
Condition 1Condition 2What to return?
I14 > F14O8 >= 1
I14 > F14O8 < 1
I14 = F14O8 >= 1
I14 = F14O8 < 1
I14 < F14O8 >= 1
I14 < F14O8 < 1

Upvote 0
They could all be put into one formula, but then not it will only return one value, and it appears that you are checking two totally unrelated conditions.

So, based on your criteria, I see 6 different combinations. If you can tell us what you want to return in each situation, we can help you come up with a formula to do that:
Condition 1Condition 2What to return?
I14 > F14O8 >= 1
I14 > F14O8 < 1
I14 = F14O8 >= 1
I14 = F14O8 < 1
I14 < F14O8 >= 1
I14 < F14O8 < 1
It's okay - i will stick with separate formulas. thank you both for your help

Upvote 0
Since you went with the multiple formulas approach, I changed your marked solution to Gordsky's reply that mentioned that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back