EXCEL Formula Help Required

Karen2403

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi - I have 4 formulas that work separately but when I try to make it in to one formula, I keep getting an error message - can anyone help please? I am quite new to these detailed formulas so really not sure where I am going wrong.

C3 is a drop down box where the user will select either CD, ED, EM, MM, SEE, SE, SPE or ST, and then depending on what is selected will return the matching name from the relevant column where there is not a blank (I hope I have explained this correctly).

=IF(C3="CD", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),IF(C3="ED", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date2]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))))

=IF(C3="EM", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date3]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),IF(C3="MM", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date4]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))))

=IF(C3="SEE", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date5]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),IF(C3="SE", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date6]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))))

=IF(C3="SPE", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date7]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),IF(C3="ST", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date8]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))))

Many Thanks

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi,

No in favour of such formula constructs, and with 2016 you would have IFS on boards (makes it slightly easier), but without seeing the data it is hard to suggest a better approach. So I went with your formulas.
I'm guessing you have troubles with the position of the parentheses.
Please try
Excel Formula:
=IF(C3="CD", 
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="ED", 
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date2]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))
 IF(C3="EM", 
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date3]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="MM", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date4]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))))
 IF(C3="SEE", 
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date5]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="SE", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date6]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))    
IF(C3="SPE",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date7]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
IF(C3="ST", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date8]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))))            
)))))

Upvote 0
Hi,

No in favour of such formula constructs, and with 2016 you would have IFS on boards (makes it slightly easier), but without seeing the data it is hard to suggest a better approach. So I went with your formulas.
I'm guessing you have troubles with the position of the parentheses.
Please try
Excel Formula:
=IF(C3="CD",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="ED",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date2]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))
 IF(C3="EM",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date3]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="MM", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date4]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))))
 IF(C3="SEE",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date5]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="SE", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date6]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))   
IF(C3="SPE",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date7]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
IF(C3="ST", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date8]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))))           
)))))
Thank you for this - I have tried it and get the same error message when I tired - the error message states 'you've entered too many arguments for this function'

Upvote 0
Probably I'm in trouble too with the parenthesis ?‍♂️ (without Excel, it's difficult for me).
Use the formula intellisence. And copy paste each portion of the formula in the correct field and build it up piece by piece.
Where you have false a new IF starts. At the very end close all IFs made.
1629459055457.png

1629459066533.png

I think I miscounted in the fourth IF where I had 4 closing parenthesis, there should be only 3. And thus 1 extra at the end.
Excel Formula:
=IF(C3="CD", 
 IF(C3="ED", 
 IF(C3="EM", 
 IF(C3="MM", INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date4]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full Name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full Name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))
 IF(C3="SEE", 
IF(C3="SPE",
))))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Probably I'm in trouble too with the parenthesis
Just the one of them out of place.

try
Excel Formula:
=IF(C3="CD",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="ED",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date2]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="EM",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date3]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="MM",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date4]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="SEE",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date5]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
 IF(C3="SE",
   INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date6]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
IF(C3="SPE",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date7]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2))),
IF(C3="ST",
    INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],SMALL(IF(Employee_Data[Date8]<>"",ROW(Employee_Data[Full name])-ROW(INDEX(Employee_Data[Full name],1,1))+1), ROWS($E$2:E2)))))
))))))

Upvote 0
Oh wow!! Thank you so much - it works perfectly :). I think I will take a tip from that on how you have structured the writing of the query - it makes it much easier to read - not that I am sure I still would have sussed it out - I do get confused on the number of parenthesis required! :ROFLMAO: Thank you again for your time and help!!

Upvote 0
Making it readable is a best practice indeed. Glad we could help. Not that difficult but still braininjury sensitieve with those parantheses.
I do get confused on the number of parenthesis required! :ROFLMAO: Thank you again for your time and help!!
For every that opens one needs to close..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back