Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Team,

I have created one userform if user select Q1 from ComboBox

I should get first Quarter end Date of Current year. 30/06/2021
if user select second Q2 I should get 2nd Quarter end Date 30/09/2021

my quarters start from Apr-Jun, Onward. User download Previous quarters Result.

Below is table. Expected output is in Column B.

QuarterLast_Quarter_DateQuarter Begins
Q130/06/2021Apr-Jun
Q230/09/2021July-Sep
Q331/12/2021Oct-Dec
Q431/03/2020Jan-Mar

Thanks
mg

Thanks
mg

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi Mallesh23,

So it's a little complex because it has to use the current quarter to make sure the year is correct for the selected quarter, an earlier quarter.

Cell E5 contains the Quarter selection but I've given you E2 and G5 to test. So set any test date in E2 to check that G5 calculates the correct end date for the selected quarter. If you're OK with the calculation then I5 uses the system date so you can paste that into your worksheet.
Mallesh23.xlsx
EFGHI
1Today
215-Jul-21
3Using E3Using TODAY()
4Quarter SelectionEnd of Quarter DateEnd of Quarter Date
5Q331-Dec-2031-Dec-20
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2E2=TODAY()
G5G5=EOMONTH(DATE(YEAR($E$2)-(INDEX({6,9,12,3},RIGHT(E5,1))>=MONTH($E$2)),INDEX({6,9,12,3},RIGHT(E5,1)),1),0)
I5I5=EOMONTH(DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-(INDEX({6,9,12,3},RIGHT(E5,1))>=MONTH(TODAY())),INDEX({6,9,12,3},RIGHT(E5,1)),1),0)
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
E5ListQ1,Q2,Q3,Q4
Hi Toadstool,

There is a lot to learn from you ….could you please explain this formula to me G5 & I5

Upvote 0
Hi Toadstool,

There is a lot to learn from you ….could you please explain this formula to me G5 & I5
The G5 formula was just so the OP could test with different TODAY() dates by entering them in E2. The proper formula using TODAY() as the base is in I5.

Let's start with INDEX({6,9,12,3},RIGHT(E5,1) which appears twice in the formulae.
The Quarter years run from April 1st so a quarter end is always June, September, December or March. The RIGHT(E5,1) gets the quarter number, so for W3 it retrieves 3.
Normally for INDEX you're retrieving from a range of cells but you can embed that range as an array constant in the formula by surrounding in curly brackets, so INDEX({6,9,12,3},3 will return the third entry which is a 12 for December quarter end.

The tricky part here is that a date is specified with a year but the quarter year may be an earlier year (e.g. specify Q2 with a date of 2 Feb 2021 but that would give quarter end of 31 March 2021 but 2 Feb 2021 is still in quarter year 2020 so we want to subtract a year). That's where -(INDEX({6,9,12,3},RIGHT(E5,1))>=MONTH(TODAY()) is used.
If today is 11 July 2021 and we're specifying Q3 then it checks if 12 is greater than 7 which returns a TRUE (logical 1) so it subtracts 1 from the current year because that must be Q3 of the previous calendar year.

The EOMONTH then returns the last day of the month for the specified year and month, which is the quarter end.

Upvote 0
Superb will check in my laptop tomorrow and study this if any clarification required will bother you … thanks a lot for your assistance with this matter.???

One more question what if I have to get Q4 as a next year 2022
Coz financial year starts from Apr’21 to June’21 as a Q1
Jul21 to Sep 21 Q2 Oct 21 to Dec 21 as Q3 n then Jan 22 to Mar 22 Q4

How can I derive that? Pls help

Upvote 0
The OP was looking at historical data. If you may be looking at historical or future quarters then the FY would be needed to clarify, e.g. FY22Q3 and not just Q3.

Upvote 0
Y
The OP was looking at historical data. If you may be looking at historical or future quarters then the FY would be needed to clarify, e.g. FY22Q3 and not just Q3.
Yes, I meant to say FY22Q3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back