Excel Formula - Incrementally Add a +1 to a Header Name each time it is copied/pasted

Johnny Thunder

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello Group,

I am working on a project and need one last piece to wrap up this file.

Explanation:
I have a block of Data B2:N15, There are various formulas within the block that link to other sheets and some manual entry fields. I have set up these blocks so that a user can copy a block and paste it two rows below the last block. The issue I need help on is that There is a descriptor in Column A next to the first row of the block "Block 1" and as the second block is copied pasted I need a formula that can look up at all the cells above and incrementally add a +1 to the block name so it changes to "Block 2".

Any ideas on how to do this. There is no other data in column A other than the block names.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
G'day JT,

Assuming that the block header is always 17 rows below the previous i.e. row 2, row 19 row 36 etc. then the following will work. If you copy into the correct location it will be fine. If you drag it down you will get "Block" written into all the intermediate cells in column A with the correct number appearing at the 17 row interval - it's down and dirty but its also 5:00 pm of Friday afternoon.

="Block "&IF(MOD(ROW(),17)=2,(ROW()-2)/17+1,"")

Cheers

shane

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Shane! I will give it a try, the size of the blocks will differ but this is a start.... I can try and adapt a way to look at the last activecell in the block prior to the copy of the block and see if there is a way to grab the range in between to search for the last name used

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back