excel formula not copying down

katetrauma

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to copy a simple formula down a column and it is copying the formula AND copying the data within the cell I'm using to copy from. Every month I add 60-150 lines of data to this excel document which has two sets of times and this formula substracts one time from the other so I can see how much time has elapsed. Every month I input the data and then extend the formula in the column that gives me the elapsed time and it has always worked just fine until today. I've attached photos that will hopefully show what's happening. The first image shows the cell with the formula I want to copy down. The second imaging is what happens when I copy that formula down, and the third image shows, the formula that was copied but the data in the cell is wrong (I manually entered the formula in the next column to show the correct calculation). I am unable to upload a mini-sheet due to using a secure work laptop that doesn't allow me to download new programs/etc.

Attachments

• origin cell formula.JPG
    origin cell formula.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 4
  • formula copied down from origin cell.JPG
    formula copied down from origin cell.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 4
  • copied formula with incorrect calculation.JPG
    copied formula with incorrect calculation.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Welcome to the Board!

It sounds like you have calculations on the workbook set to manual. If you change them to automatic, they will be updated correctly.
(Also, if you press the F9 key, it will force the sheet to re-calculate and update all your values, though this is not necessary if you change calculations to automatic).

See here: Change formula recalculation, iteration, or precision in Excel.

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the Board!

It sounds like you have calculations on the workbook set to manual. If you change them to automatic, they will be updated correctly.
(Also, if you press the F9 key, it will force the sheet to re-calculate and update all your values, though this is not necessary if you change calculations to automatic).

See here: Change formula recalculation, iteration, or precision in Excel.
That is so strange, I've used this same process since January and never had an issue copying down this formula each month until today so I'm unsure why this problem just started occurring today. I tried F9 and that worked perfectly. I also found changed the calculations to automatic and that worked as well. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Yes, the issue is something changed your calculation mode from "Automatic" to "Manual".
Note that F9 simply forces a recalculation at that time, but still leaves calculation mode to "Manual".
So you would repeatedly have to hit F9 every time you made changes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back