Excel Formula Pasting - Paste's Value instead of Formula

cheetahlip

I have a simple spreadsheet set up with data in colums B & C and a simple formula in column D that looks like this: =(C6-B6)/B6

I need to copy this formula down the sheet about 100 rows. Problem is when I try to copy it down, even when I "paste special formulas" it pastes the value from that first cell instead of pasting the formula.

I've been working with this spreadsheet for months now and it's never done this before.

If anyone can help please respond!

Thanks,

Rob

PS> After I paste special 'formulas' and I select one of the cells that has the value from the first cell, I can see it has the correct formula listed on the formula bar, and if I click inside the formula bar, to where I can see the colored boxes pop up on the sheet, and then hit 'enter', the correct formula thentakes over and the cell displays the correct value.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hi Rob

Do you have calculation turned to automatic? Tools>Options>Calculation tab and ensure Automatic is checked. Hitting F9 should also recalculate the formulas.

Best regards

Richard

Upvote 0
Richard! You're a life saver man, I had no idea that button even existed!!!! I must have accidentally hit F9 earlier!

You da man!!!! You just saved me a ton of time!!! Many thanks! May the wind always be at your back and may the scent of 1000 roses fill your nostrils!!!!!

Upvote 0
Rob

You are welcome :) F9 doesn't toggle between automatic/manual calculation though - it simply tells Excel to recalculate all open workbooks. Possibly, you may have opened up a workbook initially that somebody had saved down with the calculation set to manual.

Best regards

Richard

Upvote 0
Richard,

It's really weird, because I am the "maker" of that sheet and it has never done that in the past, and I never mess around with those setting. Obviously I am not a 'power user' but I am a 'frequent' user!!

I do really appreciate the help....

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back