Excel: Formulas for feet and inches

RebeccaR

I am trying to combine 2 cells in excel. I have feet in column Hand inches(fraction form) in column I. I want to combine these two cells in column M and have it display feet and inches in fraction form.

*I do not want to round.

I have tried to use this formula that i found on the web but it does round(Hence the ROUND that didn't register in my head when typing)
=INT(H4)&"'-"&ROUND(((I4-INT(I4))*12),0) & CHAR(34)

I have also tried concatenation but that displays the inches in a decimal.
=CONCATENATE(H4,"-",I4)

I appreciate any help that someone can give. Thank you!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.

GR00007

Board Regular
=h4&"-"&text(i4,"#?/?") <-- this will round
=H4&"-"&TEXT(I4,"#??/??") <-- this will also round, but will be more precise, I didn't know how many digits your data goes to - you can try both to see which you prefer

Last edited:

BGY23

<colgroup><col width="190" style="width: 143pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6948;"> <tbody> </tbody>
=F5&" - "&text(G5,"# ??/??")

Change your cell address to fit. Itdoesn' matter hat your inches cell iindecimal

RebeccaR

=h4&"-"&text(i4,"#?/?") <-- this will round
=H4&"-"&TEXT(I4,"#??/??") <-- this will also round, but will be more precise, I didn't know how many digits your data goes to - you can try both to see which you prefer

for example my first set of data is:
H4 = 39
I4 = 7 11/16

I want M4 to say 39' - 7 11/16"

I tried the formula above and it gives me 39-123/16.

Thank you!

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi & welcome to the board
Try
=H4&"' - "&TEXT(I4,"# ??/??")&CHAR(34)

RebeccaR

Hi & welcome to the board
Try
=H4&"' - "&TEXT(I4,"# ??/??")&CHAR(34)

This is perfect. Thank you.

One more question: Is there a way to convert this number to a decimal? I was just told I need both.

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
How about
=H4+(I4/12)

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
You're welcome

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samanthad2007

This Week's Hot Topics

• Timer in VBA - Stop, Start, Pause and Reset
    [CODE=vba][/CODE] Option Explicit Dim CmdStop As Boolean Dim Paused As Boolean Dim Start Dim TimerValue As Date Dim pausedTime As Date Sub...
  • how to updates multiple rows in muliselect listbox
    Hello everyone. I need help with below code. code is only chaning 1st row in mulitiselect list box. i know issue with code...
  • Delete Row from Table
    I am trying to delete a row from a table using VBA using a named range to find what I need to delete. My Range is finding the right cell. In the...
  • Assigning to a variable
    I have a for each block where I want to assign the value in column 5 of the found row to the variable Serv. [CODE=vba] For Each ws In...
  • Way to verify information
    Hi All, I don't know what to call this formula, and therefore can't search. I have a spreadsheet with information I want to reference...
  • Active Cell Address – Inactive Sheet
    How to use VBA to get the cell address of the active cell in an inactive worksheet and then place that cell address in a location on the current...